Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't necessarily WANT to renovate the bathroom/kitchen. But there's a slight leak in the shower pan. Turns out you can't just fix a shower pan, you have to rip out the entire shower.

And if you're gonna do that, in a house that hasn't been updated since WWII, you might as well re-do the pepto-pink bathroom, and while you're busting open the wet wall, re-do the tiny kitchen.

In the bathroom is a big cast-iron tub that we don't use (b/c there's a separate shower stall.) Told John we should just keep it, as cast iron holds heat in the water better- nope, it's the wrong color (peach), and it has to be moved in order to fix plumbing anyway, so it'll be replaced.

Okay, fine. Let's just install a walk-in shower, which will make the small bathroom look bigger, and it'll be easier to clean. Nope, John says this will hurt the resale value (it's the master bath- no other tubs in the house.)

I know that walk in shower is slightly less preferable to bathtub (I'd guess it's like 40% of the population that prefers a shower over a tub.) BUT we're right next door to the #1 elementary school in the county, and kids don't use a tub for more than a few years anyway.

Just curious what your experiences have been with this kind of thing. Personally, I don't see why we'd renovate based on potential buyers 30 years into the future, who won't be happy with what will be a dated bathroom anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
We don't necessarily WANT to renovate the bathroom/kitchen. But there's a slight leak in the shower pan. Turns out you can't just fix a shower pan, you have to rip out the entire shower.

And if you're gonna do that, in a house that hasn't been updated since WWII, you might as well re-do the pepto-pink bathroom, and while you're busting open the wet wall, re-do the tiny kitchen.

In the bathroom is a big cast-iron tub that we don't use (b/c there's a separate shower stall.) Told John we should just keep it, as cast iron holds heat in the water better- nope, it's the wrong color (peach), and it has to be moved in order to fix plumbing anyway, so it'll be replaced.

Okay, fine. Let's just install a walk-in shower, which will make the small bathroom look bigger, and it'll be easier to clean. Nope, John says this will hurt the resale value (it's the master bath- no other tubs in the house.)

I know that walk in shower is slightly less preferable to bathtub (I'd guess it's like 40% of the population that prefers a shower over a tub.) BUT we're right next door to the #1 elementary school in the county, and kids don't use a tub for more than a few years anyway.

Just curious what your experiences have been with this kind of thing. Personally, I don't see why we'd renovate based on potential buyers 30 years into the future, who won't be happy with what will be a dated bathroom anyway. :rolleyes:
If you are not planning on moving do what you want, not what the current housing market wants. Other than the incredible expense, its fun to design your own thing and see it come together

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are walk-in showers practical in general? Do they have drawbacks compared to tubs? I imagine they're much easier to clean, aside from a squeegee for the glass.

Apparently there's a new type (?) of tile grout that resists mold/mildew. Does that really work?

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts

We are in the process of renovating our master bath. Taking out the bath tub. We are capping the water and drain for the bath tub, but will keep track of where it is. If/when we get around to selling we will pop the tile and plumb in a free standing tub. We never use the tub, but know it would hurt the resale value. We're just adapting to our current use and also planning for the future.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
If you are not planning on moving do what you want, not what the current housing market wants. Other than the incredible expense, its fun to design your own thing and see it come together
^^
This

.... my wife and I did both of our bathrooms together - layout and design, I actually did all work, my wife picked everything out - kept the shower tub upstairs for the kids (main bathroom) and put a walk-in glass shower in the guest bath.... kids are a little order now and love the glass walk-in more than the shower tub

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I'd like to redo my only bathroom and delete the tub as I've only used it a dozen times in 25 years. it did make a good heat sink to cool the wort when I was home-brewing tho...

even with no plans to leave the house any time in the foreseeable future, just can't bring myself to do it knowing it would be a major ding on resale value.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I'd like to redo my only bathroom and delete the tub as I've only used it a dozen times in 25 years. it did make a good heat sink to cool the wort when I was home-brewing tho...

even with no plans to leave the house any time in the foreseeable future, just can't bring myself to do it knowing it would be a major ding on resale value.
I see the situation much the same as buying an outdated, ill fitting bike and not upgrading any of the components because it won't keep it's value when you might sell it.

You don't ride the bike because it doesn't fit, but changing any of the classic components is unheard of. Meh, upgrade the components. Ride the bike.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Have had two bathroom resets. All I can say is, if you are not doing the work yourself, make sure and hire a competent contractor. I am always trying to save money and twice backfired.....Hire a dude/gal that has a good rep even though it might cost a few more bucks.....

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see the situation much the same as buying an outdated, ill fitting bike and not upgrading any of the components because it won't keep it's value when you might sell it.

You don't ride the bike because it doesn't fit, but changing any of the classic components is unheard of. Meh, upgrade the components. Ride the bike.
Beautiful analogy, I need to put my feelings about this into engineer-speak, and this is a good translation!

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Beautiful analogy, I need to put my feelings about this into engineer-speak, and this is a good translation!
As an engineer, if something isn't working properly, or can work more efficiently would you sacrifice the antiquated non-working system for a properly updated system that better fits the current needs?

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
But the old pole was an antique.... we couldn't bare to get rid of it... We'll just workaround it and call it good.... Yes a new pole is an option, but... Wood Window Road surface Asphalt Trunk

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
A couple of realtors I know say that it does hurt resale. However they could never say how much it would be on the overall cost.

If you are going to be there another 30 years I would just do it. Bathroom may need to be redone by then anyway. Those vintage colour fixtures that everyone put it, in the 60's and 70's are now coming back in style. Hard to say in 30 years what the new owners will like.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
So you will pay extra to replace the tub that you won't use... makes perfect sense. Next time you order pizza, order the anchovies that you don't like, but have them piled in the middle of the pizza. Just pay extra, and then eat around them.

You will design the bathroom so that it does not meet your needs, but that of an unknown possible buyer 30 years in the future.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
funny, we're in a similar situation. we're starting to plan a master bathroom renovation and had a similar discussion about getting rid of the clawfoot tub (I hate them..have never enjoyed sticking to a shower curtain) and putting in a corner, walk-in shower. realtor came by and said don't do it - we'd never recoup the money ($~3500).
so we're doing a new vanity/top with storage, new faucet and hardwear, extra shallow cabinets for storage, new mirror, new efficient toilet, drywall repair, lighting, and paint/decoration. bathroom is something like 11'x11' so we've got some room to work with.
good luck. we're doing most of the work ourselves, but need to hire a contractor to fix the water hammer problem in the tub...
should be fun!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you will pay extra to replace the tub that you won't use... makes perfect sense. Next time you order pizza, order the anchovies that you don't like, but have them piled in the middle of the pizza. Just pay extra, and then eat around them.

You will design the bathroom so that it does not meet your needs, but that of an unknown possible buyer 30 years in the future.
Well, WE don't like anchovies, but our neighbors do! :p

It does irk me that we have to consider buyers who might not even have been BORN yet. They're not the ones cleaning the bathroom for the next couple of decades, either.

While mowing the lawn one day, a driver pulled up to the house and asked me roughly what houses cost in our area- he lived in another school district, but had enrolled his kid in "our" nearby school.

Nobody has ever pulled up to the house asking us whether or not we have a *bathtub,* or what color it is. So we have that much going for us.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Christine;4995181]Are walk-in showers practical in general? Do they have drawbacks compared to tubs? I imagine they're much easier to clean, aside from a squeegee for the glass.
They are practical, of course. (you already use one, don't you?)

The drawback is you can't take a bath in them. If you never do that, it doesn't matter, but most people do, at least occasionally. I don't often, but if you want a hot soak, there's no substitute.

They're not really easier to clean. (the glass is the easiest part).

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Not having a tub in the house will hurt resale. Nobody can tell you how much but it reduces the number of people who may want to buy the house. That said, if you're sure you won't be moving for a long time then do what you want because you won't be selling anyway. And even 15 year old bathrooms are old by today's standards. Bathtubs will never go out of style as many adults still like them and they're pretty much a necessity for kids. As for function and the engineers view, bathtub/shower combos function just as well as walk in showers. One might have a preference for one or the other but they both function just fine, unless you're handicapped, and I don't think that's the case. We're starting a bathroom remodel next Thursday. We have a tub/shower combo and the new bath will have a tub/shower combo but a different configuration. We've lived in our house for 30 years and will probably stay til we die, which could be tomorrow, in which case we won't remodel.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
OK, let me get this straight -- you, the woman of the house, wants to forgo a tub to have a nice roomy shower stall. John, the man of the house, wants to replace the tub that neither he or you uses and have a tiny shower stall. Wanna trade spouses?

My wife uses the sole tub in our house a couple times a week. It's handy to wash little kids in if they're in your future. Of course a new house will be in your future in that event. Last time I used the tub was December 31, 2001 after completing a century where it never got above 30 degrees out that day. The guy who talked me into said idiocy was 105 miles away from 10,000 for the year.

Kitchen and bathroom renovations are slippery slopes financially. Out kitchen took 8 weeks, and it really sucked not having it. Take out got old real quick. It was worth the money and process. Got a nice big Thermadore range/oven and a big hood for when I burn things.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts