1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,866 Posts
I feel like that every time I ride!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
That was cute but it reminds me of a conversation I had with a similarly aged girl in a hotel swimming pool.

Her: "Can you swim to the other end of the pool underwater?".

Me: "Yeah, but I'm wearing contact lenses and am afraid they would fall out if I opened my eyes to see where I was going".

Her: "If you just believe in yourself you can do anything!".

Sure, like lose my contacts in this pool and have to be led back to my room. Dumb kid.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sure, May 1X, 197Y. I remember the actual date because I got my first bike on my 5th birthday and my parents made me ride with training wheels for one full year, so I got them off the morning of my 6th birthday even though all of my friends had had theirs off for months (or even years). After riding with training wheels for so long, it was like flying. I rode down our shady elm-lined streets with an indescribable swooping feeling.

It was a good day, still vivid after 50-ish years.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Sure, May 1X, 197Y.
Summer 1979, I was 4 years old. I never used training wheels, just my parents jogging along side of me holding onto the back of my banana seat for stability.

They day I finally "got it" was a day when my Grandma Alice took over on jogging duty. I still remember pedaling along, feeling good, then turning my head to see Gramma with a huge smile on her face - standing still about 30 feet behind me. I promptly crashed into my neighbor's grassy lawn.

I always did feel closest to Gramma Alice and now I'm crying in my office at work. Thanks for that D&M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was no where near as articulate as the kid when I successfully rode my bike without assistance for the first time. 'Course that was 60+ years ago, so you'll forgive me if my memory of the event is a bit fuzzy. The one thing I do recall with perfect clarity was an overwhelming sense of what "Freedom" really means.

With no hyperbole at all, it was a moment and a feeling and a lesson I hope stays with me until I am not.

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
all I recall from ca. 1956 is that my father tried to teach me to ride without training wheels and when I didn't immediately succeed, he got exasperated and had to go smoke a cigarette. my mom came out and within a few minutes of her gentle instruction, I got the hang of it.

felt like I had accomplished something, but certainly nothing that warranted a speech. it was just one of many learning experiences during adolescence....

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,339 Posts
I'm still learnin'............My first bike was made of stone, with stone wheels.....My next bike was a Schwinn cruiser that must have weighed 40 pounds....It had a built in lock in the fork, and a battery operated horn in a cowling between the double top tubes....I think that I invented down hill racing in the 1950's.....

Reactions: n2deep

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
but certainly nothing that warranted a speech. it was just one of many learning experiences during adolescence....
Same here. I think the manufactured drama that's so pervasive on TV/media is changing the way people express themselves in normal life.

I expect to soon hear sincere exclamations of, "wha?! No way!! SIIIIICK" at the grocery store when the clerk says, "you saved $1.32 with your rewards card".

·
Neophyte
2,120 Posts
I distinctly remember the feeling of having the balance to ride without training wheels while they were still on, that was a good feeling and then off they went.

Still have the bike I learned on.....

Teaching my kid how to ride last year was a great experience. That proud moment you have as a parent when they've got it is good, too.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Still have the bike I learned on.....
Is that a 14" tire Schwinn? There's a Lil' Chick ("girl's" version of the same) in my garage although the fork is blue. It's my wife's "I'm a bit tipsy so let's tour the 'hood" ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was super chicken as a kid, still am really. My parents got me a bike when I was 7 in 1979 but I was too scared to ride it. My parents were super patient, but I refused. So two years later, we to visit family friends in central Wisconsin. It was the first week of summer vacation but my best friend still had one day of school left. While he was away and no one was looking, I took his spare bike out on the dirt road. Hopped on in a sandy section and rode it all the way to the end of the drive that was 1/2 mile long without falling. After that you couldn't get me off my bike.

Given how I learned, kind of a shame I've never ridden CX. I'd be great in the sand!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Age 6 I learned on my own on a shared bike with my sister, sized for her who was 4 years older than I and she never learnt how to ride one. The bike had training wheels that I bent back as I learn to balance myself. Took about an hour and most of the time was working on the training wheels. The feeling was more like sticking it for not teaching me because my sister wasn't ready.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good times. I wish that I could turn back time. Those were simpler times. There was nothing to worry about. Just how to ride the bike and have fun with friends. Now, we are all adults, with families and responsibilities, but I don't think that we should abandon our passion for biking. I am still making time for my friends and almost every weekend we are going somewhere. This week I have bought some lighting accessories from Amazon.com : Vont 'Pyro' Bike Light Set, USB Rechargeable, Super Bright Bicycle Light, Bike Lights Front and Back, Bike Headlight, 2X Longer Battery Life, Waterproof, 4 Modes (2 Cables, 4 Straps) : Sports & Outdoors and I am so excited to show them. As you can tell, we are fanatics when it comes to anything related to bikes haha. Never give up on your hobbies. They are very important!

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,086 Posts
Sure, May 1X, 197Y. I remember the actual date because I got my first bike on my 5th birthday and my parents made me ride with training wheels for one full year, so I got them off the morning of my 6th birthday even though all of my friends had had theirs off for months (or even years). After riding with training wheels for so long, it was like flying. I rode down our shady elm-lined streets with an indescribable swooping feeling.

It was a good day, still vivid after 50-ish years.
I remember some 35 years ago, the son of a friend was in the same situation, he had quickly mastered balancing on his bike at age 5, but his nervous-Norvis dad wouldn't let him remove the training wheels. So, every time I watched him, I bent his training wheels up just a little bit more, until eventually it was obvious that they were doing nothing at all. At age 6, he could keep up with me pretty well even on his 1-speed kid's bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts