Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riders get killed every year this time of year when the sun is low during prime riding time.

I try to pick different routes so overtaking drivers don't have to look into the sun.

In my hometown, a rider was killed when the driver with a dirty windshield didn't see him in the morning sun. Just this week, another crash, thankfully the riders will be ok.

... let's be safe out there.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Agree 100%, good post.

My routine for late-afternoon fall rides is to go out with the low sun in my back and don't start on the way back until the sun is just below the horizon. If I do hit a stretch of road with the sun still slightly above the horizon and facing me, I actually get off the road if I hear a car approaching from behind me.

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
Thanks for the timely reminder, I've had more near misses with cars at dawn and dusk than any other times of the day. A strong blinkey can help.
We also had a cyclist killed here a year or so ago, descending a hill with the sun behind him and a car pulled out in front of him.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Agreed – I’ve already changed my route on sunny evenings. Remember to turn your blinkies on for the first and last hour or two of sunlight if you’re riding in shadows. The sun is getting lower, and we’re a lot more difficult to see. Leave your dark jerseys in the closet and wear the bright ones.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Good post; it's usually that 7 AM sun that causes a lot of problems and drivers trying to get to work are doing everything from texting, putting on makeup, on cell phones and just not paying attention.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Yep, my commute takes me along a rather narrow former towpath so you get both the direct light from the low sun and the reflection in the water. Damn school kids keep riding to abreast coming out of the sun like kamikaze pilots. :mad2:

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I definitely avoid one stretch of road during fall and spring when the sun angle is low in the AM- route change is mandatory, imo

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I'm always conscious of this & avoid the situation whenever possible. A reminder never hurts, though. Thanks!

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
Good post. I've been leaving the house with my front and rear blinkies for the last coupla weeks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Tasmanians have a lot of time for people..and just to prove how much time as follows.

I was out on the road the other week and a lady in a G car (government car) was driving north from Hobart towards Bridgewater (home of the aussie bogan) when she had pulled over further up the road and waved me down. Thought I was getting lucky or it was my ex, but she was polite enough to tell me that she could not see me with the glare in coming through her windscreen.

I thought that I could give her the tip and buy some sunglasses but realised that she was doing me the favour and letting me know.

So thanks to that Government worker getting paid by the hour for stopping and having a chat...your point was taken.

Top post Creakyknees

1 - 11 of 11 Posts