Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But man is it frustrating trying to get rid of my skip. I've been practicing on and off the last few times I've been out. slow walks throwing the leg over, go a bit faster, still ok, a bit faster and there's the damn skip again.

Keep telling myself i'm not going to mash my balls but it ain't helping. :mad2:

patience is a must I know....

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
You don't want to "jump". You more or less just slide the leg over, avoiding the ball-crusher landing. It took me a while, too. I've found it easier at speed than doing it slowly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I find it's easier if instead of thinking about it as jumping onto the saddle, I just swing my leg back and let that momentum swing the rest of me up high enough to get onto over the saddle. That's a simplification of what happens, but if I think about it that way I end up jumping just enough to get onto the saddle and don't worry about dive-bombing my nuts.

It took me a whole season of doing the skip before I finally got fed up with myself and spent an evening's skills practice doing remounts over and over again. Eventually I just got resigned f to bagging myself horribly, took the leap and realized that I still had testicles on the outside of my body (yay, no horrible injury). At that point my confidence shot up and I was able to try it again and again, finally getting the proper form down.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
A nice remount is wonderful....
but it's not as important as it used to be on today's courses.
We used to get off/on 7 to 12 times a lap....it would make or break you.
Now....not so much.
Corner work and power are more important in this decade....although you do want to be decent at remounting

·
Registered
30 Posts
agree with the mayor.

As long as you can dismount, clear barrier, remount, AND RECLIP BACK in quickly don't worry about the skip. You need this entire package not just a good remount.

After saying that I have spent a lot of time practicing on this as well. Also, don't forget to practice at race pace (red lined). My techinque seems to break down when my heart rate is way up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Having the same damn problem. Keep skipping on the remount. I was doing a practice race (by myself) and just made myself get off and do it again until I did it right. Totally wrecked my lap times remounting 5-6 times until I got it right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Copy Moocher!

Anyone ever notice how good Moocher's remount (well, "mount," actually) is during the Little 500 scene in Breaking Away? On my DVD it's at 1:29:25. Textbook form. Keep in mind that he did it running at full speed, and on a bike several sizes too big for him.

Semi-related: Dave's on-the-bike snag of Kathy's dropped notebook is also pretty impressive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One thing that worked for me, as dumb as it sounds, was adding a little voice command to the process. I suffered with the stutter-step for a long time and practiced all the standard drills, with no success.

Then, one day, while running with the bike, I blurted out the word "up" just as my left foot landed, and to my utter amazement it popped right off the ground again without the stutter, and I threw my right leg over and onto the bike.

No way could this stupid trick actually work, right? So I tried it again, and lo and behold the same thing happened. No matter how fast I went, as long as I gave my retarded leg the command, it did what it was supposed to do. The key for me was to say the word (in my mind now) just as the left foot landed, even a little before, otherwise it was too late and the stutter returned. Not sure it will work for anyone else, but you never know. Just practice it when no one's around or people will think you have Tourette's syndrome. Good luck.

·
Registered
307 Posts
man...i did not even know i skipped till i read this thread, then went out to practice tonight and there was a damn skip..... add one more thing to work on in the next week.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
My name's Dan, and I have the Skips. Last night was my second "real" practice, and Sunday is my first "real" race. Practice last night was all barrier work. There were a couple of guys who gave me huge pointers. Now it's just a matter of more practicing, visualization, and getting over the mental barrier of being able to commit to remounting at speed...without skipping.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts