Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I recently purchased a Shimano CN-HG91 8-Speed Chain for my FG.
Super nice Chain.
Anyone know of a PowerLink/Removable Link that works so I can remove and clean chain?
The Silver SRAM 8-Speed PowerLink does NOT work for me.
Did a search and could not find an answer.
Thanks,

john

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Try the KMC HG compatible Missing Link I (not the IG compatible Missing Link II).

Just curious. Why not run a quality 1/8" chain like the KMC 710 stainless? I've found that chain works very well with a 3/32" chainring and DuraAce cog - dead quiet and nigh on indestrucible.

· Registered
214 Posts
If you are on a 3/32" drive train, stick with a 3/32" chain. It'll be quieter and offer less wear to your cog and chainring.

In 3/32" chains, the HG-91 is a legend. Probably the best chain Shimano ever made. The internal design, the metallurgy, and the assembly quality were all just optimal. Among World Cup track riders who ride 3/32", they hunt eBay for these chains. There's absolutely no reason for you to swap to a different chain.

As for a removable link, I'd honestly just use a chain tool with that chain. On a fixed gear, road-style removable links tend to be subject to excess stress. A proper screw-type removable link (like the Izumi) is a different matter, but the clip-type and sliding-type connectors don't handle the unique chain movement on a fixed gear setup as well. I've seen too many of them fail on the track.

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
11.4 said:
If you are on a 3/32" drive train, stick with a 3/32" chain. It'll be quieter and offer less wear to your cog and chainring.

In 3/32" chains, the HG-91 is a legend. Probably the best chain Shimano ever made. The internal design, the metallurgy, and the assembly quality were all just optimal. Among World Cup track riders who ride 3/32", they hunt eBay for these chains. There's absolutely no reason for you to swap to a different chain.

As for a removable link, I'd honestly just use a chain tool with that chain. On a fixed gear, road-style removable links tend to be subject to excess stress. A proper screw-type removable link (like the Izumi) is a different matter, but the clip-type and sliding-type connectors don't handle the unique chain movement on a fixed gear setup as well. I've seen too many of them fail on the track.
My FG is a Road Bike conversion and is totally 3/32":
Sugino chainring
Phil Wood Cog
Shimano CN-HG91 8-Speed Chain
I like to completely remove chain occasionally ,and clean in OMS bath, and Removable Link makes this easy.
I have never had any problems using a PowerLink on a FG. I don't ride track, only road on FG.
Thanks for your comments.

john

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
jmlapoint said:
My FG is a Road Bike conversion and is totally 3/32":
Sugino chainring
Phil Wood Cog
Shimano CN-HG91 8-Speed Chain
I like to completely remove chain occasionally ,and clean in OMS bath, and Removable Link makes this easy.
I have never had any problems using a PowerLink on a FG. I don't ride track, only road on FG.
Thanks for your comments.

john
Check out a 3/32 half link...I've seen them sold with a screw or a cotter pin....either are easy to remove...

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Check out a 3/32 half link...I've seen them sold with a screw or a cotter pin....either are easy to remove...
Dave;
Thanks.
I think I have one like you describe for my Izumi Track Chain.

john

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Dave:
Thanks so much for this tip. I have 2 of those links with 2 screws and nuts.
I took the 2 pins completely out of an HG91 link, and used these 2 Side-Plates and the 2 screws to make a Custom 'Shimano' Master Link. Looks great and sturdy, and rotates smoothly over Cog and Chainring.
Thanks.

john

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Izumi Machine Bolt Masterlink

I made a custom Masterlink from from 2 Shimano outer Side Plates and 2 Bolts from 2 Izumi Machine Bolt Masterlinks. Works great. Avoids Special Connecting Pins. Is easily removed with a screwdriver to clean chain off the bike.
Many thanks to Dave Hickey for suggesting this.

View attachment 205315

john

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.