Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I remove another link from the chain?
It is on the big chainring and the big cog.
This is a triple crank.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
CAN you? doesn't look like there's much more movement available in that cage. Is there slack when you put it in the small-small? If not, I think you're fine where you are.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
FWIW, here's Shimano's method. You want to be on small rear/ large front to check chain length. Refer to the link below for reference under Chain Length:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...001/SI_5VG0C_001_En_v1_m56577569830616226.pdf

There's another reference here, but you need to break the chain. Scroll down to Chain Length:
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

One note: If I counted correctly, you have an 8 spd cassette. Unless you're using a 9 spd right shifter, your RD cable routing is incorrect. In the second link, scroll down to Alternate Cable Routing for reference.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
no...

daniell said:
Should I remove another link from the chain?
It is on the big chainring and the big cog.
This is a triple crank.
The proper test is to shift to the little ring and smallest cog. Unless the chain hangs loose or rubs on the upper chain guide of the RD cage, there is no reason to remove 1 inch (2 links) of chain. All you need is enough chain tension to cause the lower pulley to swing down slightly and produce a little space between the lower section of chain and the RD cage.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,511 Posts
it looks like the toothed washer under the cable anchor bolt is in the wrong position as well...i think the toothed side should be 90* from where it is now...the cable shouldn't be bent like that coming out of the anchor bolt.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cxwrench said:
it looks like the toothed washer under the cable anchor bolt is in the wrong position as well...i think the toothed side should be 90* from where it is now...the cable shouldn't be bent like that coming out of the anchor bolt.
Thanks, I will look at it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
daniell said:
Thanks, I will look at it.
Thanks again for pointing it out to me. Sheldon (I really wish he was still around)
had a picture on his site that clearly showed the correct orientation. I was doing it wrong for years.
I guess I will also have to redo the mountain bike cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts