Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my house in 2009, it had a 20-year-old 16' x 24' Esther Williams above ground pool.

My wife wanted to get rid of it before we moved in, but since my son was 8 at the time, I figured we'd keep it and he and his friends would use it. They did.

But last year, it got used 2 or 3 times. A complete waste of electricity to run the pump ($100 per month, we found out a month or so ago, this first summer that we haven't had it running!), time to keep it clean, and money for chemicals.

So this spring, my son who is now 15 and I decided to remove it.

I googled above ground pool removal and found out that the scrap value of aluminum made it worthwhile to DIY. So I did.

3 trips to the scrapyard later, we have $610 cash, and some pretty good exercise too.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, if you have an above ground pool you're getting rid of, most removers will charge you between 300 and 400 bucks, and they'll get the salvage money.

Depending on the price of scrap aluminum, you might have room to bargain.

So if you have any questions about above ground pool removal, I'm your go-to guy.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
We had a smaller, 18' diameter, round above ground for my daughter. It was a royal P.I.T.A. as far as I'm concerned but she and her friends had a lot of fun in it. We more than got out money's worth out of it in the way of fun for her. The last 2 years we had it, it was getting used much less. She'd gotten old enough to want to go to the local lakes with her friends instead. I talked about getting rid of it but she whined about still wanting to use it. After another year of cleaning, buying supplies, increased electric cost of running the pump, etc. and watching it not get used, I told her it was going. Scrap value never occurred to me. I drained it, took it apart and told everybody I knew that it was free to whoever wanted to come get it. I got a taker, a coworker with a daughter about the same age my daughter was when we bought it. A little money back on it might have been nice but I was happy just having it gone without having to haul it and pay dump fees.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
"do it yourself. that way you know who fVck#d it up"

Wrote that in the footing of my house when I poured them, (then promptly buried it with an 18" x 12 ' field stone wall)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Swimming pools are just a waste of money. My parents had one built in their home back in 1996,back them I was still living with then and I've used it every single day. The following summer I've used it may just 3 times,then moving on through the years even them stopped using it,they just kept it operational for decorationg reasons. A swimming pool is pretty much like a boat, the happiest moments about it are the first day you use it and the day you sell it.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Swimming pools are just a waste of money. My parents had one built in their home back in 1996,back them I was still living with then and I've used it every single day. The following summer I've used it may just 3 times,then moving on through the years even them stopped using it,they just kept it operational for decorationg reasons. A swimming pool is pretty much like a boat, the happiest moments about it are the first day you use it and the they you sell it.
disagree, I'm in pool about 4 times a week.

After a ride, I jump in, after yard work I jump in. I'm in it all the time. Love my pool, wish it was bigger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts