Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Felt F80 and it came with the normal brakes and a set I don't even know what they are called but they are like mountain bike brakes. How do you take them off? Is there some where on the internet that explains how to do it. Maybe if I new what they were called I could find it myself.
Thanks in advance.......

· Know It All
152 Posts
Do you mean brake levers? Do they look like the ones in the center of this photo? If so they don't seem to have a well defined name. Apparently you can call them Auxiliary, Cross, or Interrupter levers. Taking them off will probably take some work. My guess is that, at a minimum, you'd have to replace the brake housing with one piece (since I guess there's two, one on either side of the lever) and redo the bar tape.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
billybender32 said:
Ya I meant brake levers and yes they look like those.
Remove your bar tape. Get a new set of brake cable/housing (you may be able to re-use the cables). Disconnect the cables from the brake calipers. Pull the old cables.

Go to the ParkTool or Shimano/Campy web sites and follow the instructions for installing brake cables and housings. You can use the old cables (including the length through the removed levers) to determine the length of the new housing.

Re-install the bar tape.

TF

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
billybender32 said:
I have a Felt F80 and it came with the normal brakes and a set I don't even know what they are called but they are like mountain bike brakes. How do you take them off? Is there some where on the internet that explains how to do it. Maybe if I new what they were called I could find it myself.
Thanks in advance.......

haha. very nice. need instructions to remove the little plastic thingy behind the cassette too?

:p

· wut?
14,624 Posts
I just took cross levers off of an F80. Those things were the suck. My brakes felt better after I took those things off, too. My cables/housings ended up being more than 2 inches shorter on each side, so the feeling was a little more direct.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I just took cross levers off of an F80. Those things were the suck. My brakes felt better after I took those things off, too. My cables/housings ended up being more than 2 inches shorter on each side, so the feeling was a little more direct.
Tsk, Tsk. Love mine. But then I have real brakes on the other end of the cables. - TF

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Er, no, they still ... pull. Just, um, more different.

With a decent set-up these "'cross levers" are actually added on later by some. Pros have even been spotted with them in paris-roubaix.

But I have heard indeed that the crappy setup on the stock Felt is crappy.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Road cyclist said:
How do these second levers work for you?
Your normal brake levers PULL the cable from the brake.
The second set of levers look like they would push the cable in the opposite direction?
I am definitely missing something here.
They don't pull the cable. They go between two pieces of the housing. When applied they spread the housing apart effectively increasing the housing length which effectively shortens the cable. It's sort of like a controlable barrel adjuster. - TF

· Seanahee
40 Posts
Just did this

Just made this fix the other night. Never liked the top bar levers -- goofy looking, add unnecessary weight, and thought they probably impacted feel.

Fairly simple, but I was a shop mechanic years ago, so have better-than-average skills. Only hard part, for me was getting bars re-taped properly. Just was never very good at that!

Difference is great. Bike looks cleaner, brakes have better feel. Very good investment of a half-hour. FWIW, I replaced the housings and cables. Seemed simplest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.