Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal. Just registered to the forum because I am trying to remove and replace my front derailers shifter. I was riding down by the coast and had a little spill into some sandy stuff, and I have ruined my shifter. I currently have the bar untaped and the shifters collar off. its just hanging there with the cables in it, i would like to know how to remove the cables so that i can just retape my bar and go big ring it for a while before i get a replacement. LBS which i bought it from was extremely rude about it so i have resorted on doing this my own. any help would be great!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does your chain have a removeable master link? If so, then there's no need to mess with the shifter. Just remove the chain, and disconnect the shift cable from the front derailer. You do this by unscrewing the pinch bolt on the FD where the cable attaches...the derailer cage should snap down to the small ring position when the tension is released. Then reattach the chain without routing it through the front derailer cage, and just wrap it around the big ring, and route it through the rear derailer and cogs as normal. If your chain does not have a removeable link, you can either break the chain with a chain tool and then use a replacement link to put it back together, or else you may be able to take the FD cage apart and get the chain out without breaking it.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
No need to remove chain

Metaluna said:
Does your chain have a removeable master link? If so, then there's no need to mess with the shifter. Just remove the chain, and disconnect the shift cable from the front derailer. You do this by unscrewing the pinch bolt on the FD where the cable attaches...the derailer cage should snap down to the small ring position when the tension is released. Then reattach the chain without routing it through the front derailer cage, and just wrap it around the big ring, and route it through the rear derailer and cogs as normal. If your chain does not have a removeable link, you can either break the chain with a chain tool and then use a replacement link to put it back together, or else you may be able to take the FD cage apart and get the chain out without breaking it.
The front derailleur cage has a screw at the rear end of the cage, and if you un-do that, you can get the derailleur off without breaking the chain. That said, it is likely not a good idea because, depending on your specific set-up, the chain might shift automatically off the big ring without the derailleur cage in place to keep this from happening.

To the OP: you may be able to just use the limit screws to position the derailleur over the big ring. The only way to see if this will work is to try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.