Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
i recently bought new wheels and realized i do not have the tools to remove the cassette from my old wheel to put on my new one..
would my LBS do it for me for free?
and if they do charge me... would it be be cheaper to just buy the tools to do it myself?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Not for one cassette removal. But for two or three or four, it'll be cheaper to have the tools. And it is always more conveienent to be able to do it when you want than to have to take the wheels to the shop.

Of course you'll need the cassette lockring tool to put the cassete back on as well.

See the Park Tool web site for instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Chain whip and lockring tool should run you about $30 and they're worth having around if you ever plan on having more than 1 wheelset, changing gearing for certain terrain, etc.

You can also get by with just a lockring if you use an old chain and stout pair of pliers instead of the whip, but it's kind of a pain.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
daivs_T said:
Hey
i recently bought new wheels and realized i do not have the tools to remove the cassette from my old wheel to put on my new one..
would my LBS do it for me for free?
and if they do charge me... would it be be cheaper to just buy the tools to do it myself?
i don't want to sound like a jerk, but why would think a shop would do it for free? if you were a long time customer, i'd prob not charge for it...but if you just walked in off the street it would be minimal...$5.00 maybe?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got my bike from performance bike
and they do a lot of free services...
and most of the time they are glad to...
maybe if they have free time they could swap it for me really quick huh? lol
or i can just buy the tools

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
My LBS would put on a new cassette for free if I bought it from them. Cassette prices have almost doubled in the past ten years. I bought a chain whip and lock ring remover tool and buy my cassettes online and put them on myself. If you can put on a chain, you can install a cassette. Pretty easy. Just don't mix up the spacers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts