Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a 1988 Bianchi. Somewhere in it's past life, the Campy Chorus cranks were clearcoated. The clear coat is scratched up and rubbed off in a few places. The cranks are anodized aluminum. I would like to remove the clearcoat without damaging the anodized finish. The cranks have the Campy shield logo which I really don't want to damage. I think these logos are silkscreened. I can get decals to replace the logos, but would prefer to keep them original. Does anybody out there have any suggestions?

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Chemical paint remover should work on the clearcoat but there's no way to save the logos.
Zip-Strip has worked for me.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,818 Posts
Are you sure it's a clear coat, or just the normal surface scratches that you tend to see on these old cranks? You could maybe try some carefully applied mineral spirits, avoiding the logo. For beat up cranks and stems I use 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper followed by Mother's aluminum polish with good results. That will remove the anodizing, of course, which means you'll have to periodically re-polish to keep the shine.

Post pics! I'm an '89 Bianchi owner.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are you sure it's a clear coat, or just the normal surface scratches that you tend to see on these old cranks? You could maybe try some carefully applied mineral spirits, avoiding the logo. For beat up cranks and stems I use 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper followed by Mother's aluminum polish with good results. That will remove the anodizing, of course, which means you'll have to periodically re-polish to keep the shine.

Post pics! I'm an '89 Bianchi owner.
It is clear coated. The clear coat has yellowed a bit. The frame had been spray canned with Sea Foam Green and was probably clear coated with spray can as well. It was done nicely but the shade was off. I stripped the frame and had celeste paint mixed at an auto paint shop. I might give your technique a try and see how it works. Sanding them would definitely take the clear coat off. If that turns out good, I am ahead of the game. Don't mind sanding and polishing it is kind of relaxing. I may also check and see if I can get the shield engraved on the crank arms. We have several gun shops in town that engrave guns, rifles and shotguns for customers. Might be able to get one of them to do it. I could come back and paint fill them. It would look pretty cool. Worst case I can remove all the anodizing, polish the arms and get the decals. There is a guy on the net who makes them for all of the older silk screen campy components that were popular in the 80s and early 90s. I have a thread going on the Retro-Classic board with a few pics. Need to add some more. Thanks for the replies and ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts