Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the best way to remove the clear coat covering the carbon on my frame,so i can re do the frame to make it all beautiful again ?.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Automotive sand paper, 320 grit, then sand again with 600 or 800 grit, use with lots of water while sanding.

Al

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
You might try an automotive paint store. Ask them for some paint remover. Beware...it will remove ALL paint almost instantly from anything it touches. I'd also ask if it's safe for use with CF.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
the bull said:
No No No!!!

That is not good for carbon!

Do you really trust some bonehead at a auto paint store to know how there materials are going to react with carbon?
Gee! I don't know. Can I trust you to difinitively say that it will be detrimental? Have you tried it & had a bad experience? What type / brand did you use? What happened to the CF you used it on?

There is a surprising amount of CF used on cars & motorcycles today. Maybe the "bonehead" at the paint store might actually know.

That being said, I'm all in favor of erring on the side of safety. That's why I said to ck it out. If the owner of the bike isn't comfortable with that, let him reasearch it furthur.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Read the seatpost article.
http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9053.0.html

I have never used paint remover on Carbon fiber.
I have used paint remover and let me tell you this, my friend, I would not even test think of putting it on anything that was not metal !

I can not comment on the surprising amount of carbon fiber in todays cars unless you are talking about the aftermarket carbon that "racer boy" used to replace the hood and ashtray cover on his 88 civic. The only car I have seen in the shop with a surprising amount of carbon on is the 1/2 million dollar SLR in our dealership, and I doubt the bonehead at the auto paint shop counter will be recommending any products for it, but even a bonehead should know not to use that stuff. :0

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have done exactly what you are planning to do.

Results were amazing.

If you wish to just remove the clear coat to remove decals, a fine grain sandpaper will do.

If you wish to remove the paint also, then I would recommend a random orbital/fine sander with 80 grit, while working up to a finer grit for the best results.

good luck.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Yes like other have said sand and work your way up from a course paper to a a fine one.
Do you think you need to go all the way to the carbon?
How are you planning on replacing the clear coat?

·
Registered
273 Posts
This sounds interesting

IMHO something about this screams "bad idea". I'm interested to see/hear about the results - would you mind posting an update or some pics when the deed is done?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wanted to take it all back to the carbon to get a nice even job done with no join lines any where. Will get a professional painter to do the job but no one really knows the best way to stip the clear coat from the carbon. Getting the paint off the rest of the frame is no problem. Bull, have you stripped the clear coat all the way back to the carbon?

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Not on an entire frame. I have done small parts and forks. You should try to lightly sand out all the scratches. You should not have to strip it down all the way. Just wet sand out scratches. Work your way from a corse to fine paper then buff it to a shine.One word...Water! Sanding the whole frame down to bare carbon will take along time. Your fingers will be killing you. You might not even have to paint it at all, but if you do you can clear coat over clear coat.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I stripped my Giant TCR composite 2 winters ago and resprayed it as shown below. I did a long post on the process in the Giant section here on RBR.

I went with using sandpaper and think that's best. The clear coat is tough enough that you'll have to have some pretty strong stripper (made for urethanes and epoxies). That also means that the stripper may well attack the epoxy that's holding the carbon together. I'd highly discourage this method.

I used 100 grit to get the bulk off, being careful to stop immediately once I got through the clear. Finished up with 150, then 220. No water necessary although the silicon carbide paper (black 3M brand Wet-N-Dry) will last longer than the brown aluminum oxide paper.

Make sure you wash the bare frame with wax and grease remover after you're all done sanding. I use adhesion promoter as a base coat to help bond the first coat to the frame. After that, it's up to what type of finish/color you want to do.

·
Registered
638 Posts
shabbasuraj said:
I have done exactly what you are planning to do.

Results were amazing.

If you wish to just remove the clear coat to remove decals, a fine grain sandpaper will do.

If you wish to remove the paint also, then I would recommend a random orbital/fine sander with 80 grit, while working up to a finer grit for the best results.

good luck.

Here is a thread with pics describing my results at BF....

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=2411624&posted=1#post2411624

1 - 20 of 26 Posts