Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been avoiding doing this for the last 3 rewraps of my bars, but now I'm just obsessed with trying to remove it all.

The winter riding has caught up to me, and thus, the trapped sweat in the cork is all built up and just plain nasty.

I tried just about every household cleaner in my place, but nothing is even touching it. I let it sit, rub it hard, talk nicely to it, nothing works so far.

Anyone have a tip?

Also - this particular question is going towards an aluminum bar. Not sure if it matters, but do we need to be careful of the carbon bars out there (my other bike for example, that I'm sure is building up slowly with salt chunks)?

Gracias,

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not salt??

Plain salt would be removed with water. Is the white substance on the bars or on the tape? I've never seen salt from sweat that wouldn't come off wiht water.

If the white substance is on the bars, are you sure you're not seeing corroded aluminum, which is also white? If that's the case, then finish on the bars has been compromised.

·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure....

I'm pretty sure it's salt, it's on both the bars and the tape when I pull it off. And it smells like BO, which is making me think it's salt for sure.

It's actually something ON the bar, like you can scrape it with your fingernail and feel it.

It only happens to the bike I use on the rollers too, my other one never gets the buildup.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Salt is pretty hydrophile it dissolves in water real easy, so the white substance on your bars is likely to be something else. It's possible that the sweat is causing corrosion on your bars and no water is getting *that* off.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
It's not salt

You're looking at aluminum oxide. You're not going to find a solvent that will remove it, but an acid (vinegar, as suggested) may take it off. Don't soak the bars, as the acid will attack the aluminum too. I've used a green ScotchBrite pad to remove it from my bars. It does mean that there are breaks in the anodization, but unless you have deep pitting, I've not experienced any mechanical issues from it.

·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting....

I never had alu get THAT oxidized on me, it looks like it's chunkified on there. Usually, in my experience, it just gets some powder on it and that's it.

But, I agree and can't believe I overlooked this, salt would have been gone for sure with water, which I tried.

Sounds like a good reason to put a carbon bar on that bike too.

Thanks all, happy weekend.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
10kman said:

Right on brother, bring on the coal. :)

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
10kman said:
I never had alu get THAT oxidized on me, it looks like it's chunkified on there. Usually, in my experience, it just gets some powder on it and that's it.

But, I agree and can't believe I overlooked this, salt would have been gone for sure with water, which I tried.

Thanks all, happy weekend.

Don't do it. The carbon will oxidize and form carbon monoxide and you'll die.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts