Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converting an old schwinn into a fixie and want to remove the shifter bosses/brazeons or whatever they are. Any recommendations? I plan on having the frame powder coated so I would like to remove them first.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Braze on removal

Just did that last week. Apply the heat to the shifter posts, not the tubing. work the heat around post to heat evenly. Use a pair of pliers to pull/twist off the posts. Clean up the remainder of the brazing with a fine tooth file and then sandpaper. I used a oxy-acetylene torch in order to concentrate the heat on the fitting, not the tubes. I did the same to remove the brake guides as well. Go slowly, if you heat the tubing, you can take the heat treating out of it.

Strip the frame & repaint.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PaleAleYum said:
Just did that last week. Apply the heat to the shifter posts, not the tubing. work the heat around post to heat evenly. Use a pair of pliers to pull/twist off the posts. Clean up the remainder of the brazing with a fine tooth file and then sandpaper. I used a oxy-acetylene torch in order to concentrate the heat on the fitting, not the tubes. I did the same to remove the brake guides as well. Go slowly, if you heat the tubing, you can take the heat treating out of it.

Strip the frame & repaint.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
841 Posts
FrontRanger said:
Converting an old schwinn into a fixie and want to remove the shifter bosses/brazeons or whatever they are. Any recommendations? I plan on having the frame powder coated so I would like to remove them first.
I would think that you could take them right off with a dremel. Maybe sand smooth and fill (and sand again) before sending for color?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.