Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link to an (intelligible) instruction sheet for - or suggestions for how to go about - removing the brake lever from an Ergolever assembly? All I want to do is take the lever out (and be able to put it back in). It looks like there's a sort of snap ring on the back side, but I'm reluctant to go prying sh!t apart with a screwdriver without knowing anything at all about what I'm doing...

I posted this on the Campy board too, but this one gets much more traffic. Especially on a Sunday morning. S.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
Remove the brake cable wire from the caliper and pull through the lever. Operate the lever and notice the pivot pin. Using a punch (about 5 MM or 3/16) which is slightly smaller than the pin, use a hammer to drive the pin out through the lever. With your third hand, or a helpers hand, Hold the lever to keep it from falling on the floor, as there are pivot pin bushings that will scatter when the lever hits the floor. While you have the lever off, it will be easier to replace the hood cover. For replacement, use the pin that you used to remove the pivot pin as an alignment tool and drive the pivot pin back in. Do not be surprised that it requires a fair amount of force to start the pivot pin out of the housing as there is a retaining groove to inhibit movement. After it gets started, it should go easier.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
push the pin out...

There's nothing to it. The aluminum pivot pin simply pushes out to remove the lever. Use a punch just slightly smaller than the pin. Lay the lever on it's side and support the underside with something that won't mar the lever (wood is good) and has some room for the pin to come out from the bottom. Tap lightly with a hammer and the pin will come out.

Having the brake lever off makes no difference at all in the ease of replacing a brake hood. The only hard part about replacing a hood is getting it over the "knob" at the top of the ergo lever body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts