Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally mounted my 1st set of tubulars and what a mess and a pain!!! I have glue on everything. Conti Comp's are a pain even with stretching for a week on a rim before mounting. I used acetone to remove the glue on the wheels but what do I do about the glue on the side walls of the tires. I know as time goes on I will get more skilled and not have this dilemna but for now what do I do? It looks like a horrible sneeze along the tires. I used Conti cement if that helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just too much glue ;)
No glue on the sidewalls next time.
As for this time I would let it go & chalk it up to learning.

Next time just use the tube of glue .......squeeze just a little & use the nozzle of the tube to spread it THIN on the tape only.
Same goes for the rim.
Folks starting out on tubbies always error on the too much side. More glue does not make a stronger bond just a messy one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was using too much glue for sure and that makes sense since that it looks like a bomb went off. I did it thin on the tire but went all out on the rimso as I was mounting the tire it was sliding all over. Thanks for the heads up. The glue dried pretty clear just a little messy where the tire and rim meet but oh well I can say it was 1st attempt.

·
Registered
482 Posts
travis200 said:
Yes, I was using too much glue for sure and that makes sense since that it looks like a bomb went off. I did it thin on the tire but went all out on the rimso as I was mounting the tire it was sliding all over. Thanks for the heads up. The glue dried pretty clear just a little messy where the tire and rim meet but oh well I can say it was 1st attempt.
Yes maybe a bit too much on the rim too ;)
That's ok as you do more it will become very easy.
If unsure in the beginning you can also put painters tape or black tape on the rim braking surface. Then just take it off later. Although that wont help the excess on the tire sidewall it will make rim cleanup easier ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excess Glue On Carbon Tubulars

I've recently acquired a pair of Reynolds Stratus carbon rims. These wheels have tons of excess glue on the mounting surface which is hardened and very difficult to remove. I am afraid to use solvent as these are carbon rims rather than steel.

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
482 Posts
justin_karbel said:
I've recently acquired a pair of Reynolds Stratus carbon rims. These wheels have tons of excess glue on the mounting surface which is hardened and very difficult to remove. I am afraid to use solvent as these are carbon rims rather than steel.

Any suggestions???
Usually it is fine to leave it. But if you want to double check write or call Nick Gaskill at [email protected] He always answered my Reynolds wheels questions very quickly.
Here is his info I copied from a email. The number is toll free

Nick Gaskill

Reynolds

3392 West 8600 South

West Jordan, Utah 84088

Direct: 866-798-3040 ext. 125

Fax: 801-565-8225
Visit us online: www.ReynoldsComposites.com

·
Registered
655 Posts
justin_karbel said:

Any suggestions???
Acetone is OK but don't soak the thing. That what Campy suggested to me and I have had no problems. However I agree that unless you have a huge amount of buildup it not urgent to remove the old glue, just scrape off any that is loose and add a bit more glue. The new glue tends to melt with the old and make for a firm bond

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
justin_karbel said:

Any suggestions???
If you want to do a full cleanup back down to the rim I recommend Le Tour tubular glue remover which you can get here: http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-loc...age=tires/tire6.html&ORDER_ID=613151610#item2

If you're still leary you should give Brandford a call and ask about using it on your carbon rims. I did and they assured me that the solvent is safe on my carbon Boras. So far I've found it to be a pretty good stripper and it hasn't harmed the carbon rims just as they said.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts