Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to go about removing the clear coat and decals from a Giant TCR Team ONCE? The bright yellow graphics are just too gaudy!!!

Sanding? Chemical stripper? What kind?

thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got the decals off my Trek 5200 by steaming them off. The acrylic adhesive on the polyester decal can be softened and then peeled off after the applicaion of heat. Pull the decal off like skinning a rabbit. If you haven't had that pleasure, pull the decal straight "down" so the angle of peeling is 180 degrees. This will put the most stress on the adhesive so the deal comes off and the least amout of stress on the polyester so it doesn't tear as easily.

Don't sand or use solvents.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I stripped a 5500

Two years ago, I got so sick of the gaudy postal scheme that I simply fine sanded the clear down to the decals. Then I went on a bike ride while my wife, who has nails, carefully peeled off the decals. It took her almost 50 miles to get that accomplished!:D . after 3 or 4 more hours of CAREFULL hand sanding the frame was basically stripped down to it's primer. After several coats of primer, then spray enamel I applied the replacement decals ($60 from High Gear in Sterling NJ- what a total ripoff).I then covered everything with 5 thin coats of clear. Two years later, I'm ready to retire the rig to rain/ winter duty but the finish is still an 8 our of 10. Not bad for a day's labor and a couple cans of spray.

Your results may vary depending on marital and fingernail status

1 - 3 of 3 Posts