Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My crank has been creaking. It sounds like the drive side. I decided to take the cranks off, lube them, and reinstall. I removed the cap on the nds with a pin spanner and then the 8mm hex bolt. The nds crank is still attached however. What is the next step to remove the cranks? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
put the 8mm bolt in than put locktite on the cap and put it back on with the pin spanner. now use your 8mm wrench and remove the crank bolt. it will press against the cap and act as a self extracting bolt. your crank arm should come right off.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's what I did. I got everything off except the drive side external BB. That seemed really tight and I wasn't sure which way to turn it. How does that come off?

I added more grease, including to the edges of the aluminum sleeve that is inside the BB. The creaking stopped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try checking the tightness of the bolts that hold the crankarms to the cranks.
If that fails to solve it, then replace the bottom bracket.
I've had two Ultegra BB's go bad on me and creak, usually some time after riding through deep water. (a couple of weeks, and a couple of months the other time.) I suspect grit got carried into the BB shell through drain holes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.