Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having major difficulties removing FSA ISIS Carbon Pro Team crankest from the ISIS Bottom bracket. With the bolts removed it should slide off however its very tight and is jammed. I'm scared any impact using a wedge and belting it off may stress the carbon frame. The frame is brand new and I'm making way for Sram red so all must be stripped.

This needs to be done with care on a stand. Any thoughts out there??

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
berryman said:
I'm having major difficulties removing FSA ISIS Carbon Pro Team crankest from the ISIS Bottom bracket. With the bolts removed it should slide off however its very tight and is jammed. I'm scared any impact using a wedge and belting it off may stress the carbon frame. The frame is brand new and I'm making way for Sram red so all must be stripped.

This needs to be done with care on a stand. Any thoughts out there??
ISIS cranks will not slide off. You need crank extractor tool that works with ISIS/Octalink BB. Or get some self-extracting bolts that will do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think all of the FSA carbon cranks should have a self extracting mechanism that screws into the L crank arm. Look on their website for an exploded diagram, perhaps you are missing that part. I recently had to order one myself, as mine somehow got lost.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
cyclust said:
I think all of the FSA carbon cranks should have a self extracting mechanism that screws into the L crank arm. Look on their website for an exploded diagram, perhaps you are missing that part. I recently had to order one myself, as mine somehow got lost.
Yes, FSA Carbon ISIS sets came with the bolts for BOTH sides.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I use FSA isis cranks on several of my bikes, but always use a Park crank puller to remove for cleaning, BB maintenance, etc. There is a lot of force involved in removal and I am not comfortable relying on self extracting bolts. If the OP doesn't want to invest in the tool, any competent LBS should have the tool and be able to remove the crank in 5 minutes or less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue crank does NOT use self extractors. In fact, the directions for this crankset specifically warn against using them. Do yourself a favor and invest in a Park crank extractor for $15. Your bikeshop will probably charge more to take your crank off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts