Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much force is required to extract the pressed in and Loctited in sealed bearings and spindle from a 1990 Klein aluminum frame. Would the force fall into the categories of "minimal", "about as expected", "fairly high" or "Bearing puller Armageddon"? See attached picture. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Klein had a tool kit for that purpose. One of the shops I worked in had it. We only got into b/c we had a really good relationship with the klein rep.

It was essentially a threaded rod, some big washers things, and a couple different sleeves, which would remove the bearings and/or the spindle. My suggestions would be 1) don't pull the bb, 2) carefully remove the rubber seals and clean/regrease the bearings, then replace the shields, 3) find an older shop that sold klein back in the early 90s (b/f trek crapped them up) and hope they have the tool still.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
There used to be a Klein resource on the internet that provided info and services, but a casual search didn't reveal anything.

If you choose to send it out for service, I know a local shop in Connecticut with the tools. PM me and I can put you in touch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re-greasing the bearings by removing the seal is a great idea that I will try on a practice bearing.

The present ball bearings in my Klein bottom bracket are marked “NSK 6003DU” which are listed in the NSK catalog as 6003DDU which have “contact seals” on both sides of the bearing. I will order one of these sealed bearings to practice on before attempting to re-grease the bearings in my BB.

If re-greasing the practice bearing fails then I will probably design my own puller based on the pictures of the Klein puller and press that I have found on the internet. I plan on using an M8-1.00 mm threaded rod for the lead screw which I can get for $11.50 on eBay from China that has a metric material tensile strength rating of 4.8 which corresponds to 68,000 PSI which will produce a maximum pulling force of about 3500 lbs. I can get an M8-1.00 mm threaded rod with a B7 rating of 124,000 PSI which will produce a maximum pulling force of almost 6500 lbs from the local metric industrial supply store but the price jumps up to $54 + tax and shipping. My question about how much force is required to pull the bearings is to determine which threaded rod to buy for the puller. Re-greasing the existing bearings sounds much easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
How much pressure? Who knows.

About as much as you would apply with a 3/8" socket wrench. The bb spindle is a cylinder with squared ends. It is just press fit into the bearings. If you have decent mechanical abilities (which you posts seem to suggest), I am sure you could rig something to work.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Check McMaster Carr for the threaded rod. Bearings might be a real joy to get out if galvanic corrosion has taken place between the steel bearing housing and the aluminum BB cup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
McMaster-Carr has Low-Strength (68,000 psi / grade 4.8) Steel Threaded Rod M8 × 1 mm pitch x 150 mm long (pt no. 98861A593) for $5.83 ea which is just long enough. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts