Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is there a trick to this or something? I tried removing my pedals last night with no luck, any tips?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
wookie said:
So is there a trick to this or something? I tried removing my pedals last night with no luck, any tips?
Yes, there's a trick. One of your pedals is reversed treaded, one is not.

If you were having trouble, I suspect you were on the non-drive side, turning counter clockwise with no results. Here's the Park Tool on-line instructions with illustrations.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83

Scot

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
More specifics, please

What did you try? What tool were you using? What did you do and what happened? As Scot points out, the left pedal is reverse threaded -- turn right (clockwise) to remove. If the pedals have been on a long time, they can be pretty stuck, and it can take a lot of torque to get them moving. If they're very stuck, a proper pedal wrench (like the Park) is almost a necessary tool, and you may even need an extension bar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was on the non drive side and tried to turning both clockwise and counter clockwise. I was using a pedal wrench but maybe need to put more into it. I was using a lot of force but was still holding back, I guess I need to really get in to it.

By the way, I am determining left and right as if I was sitting on the bike is this correct?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
wookie said:
By the way, I am determining left and right as if I was sitting on the bike is this correct?
Yes. Left (non-drive) side is the reverse-threaded one. Getting enough torque without endangering your fingers can be a problem. Here's my approach: With the bike standing on the ground as if riding (i.e., not hanging or on a work stand), position the crank so that it's fairly low and the installed pedal wrench points toward the rear, angled slightly above horizontal. Put a hand on the top tube and one on the saddle, and lean on the bike hard, to keep it from moving. Then put a foot on the end of the pedal wrench and push down. Increase pressure until it begins to move. Considerably less than full weight will probably move it. If that doesn't do it, your threads are really gunked up, and you might need penetrating oil to loosen them.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Back Off!

wookie said:

I love mnemonic devices. To remove pedals, the arm of the pedal wrench should rotate towards the BACK of the bike, no matter which side you are on. Hence, "Back Off!"

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
jtolleson said:
I love mnemonic devices. To remove pedals, the arm of the pedal wrench should rotate towards the BACK of the bike, no matter which side you are on. Hence, "Back Off!"
This works as long as the handle of your wrench is pointing UP. If it's pointing down, you go the other way.

This is how I remember it too, but you gotta have the wrench handle ABOVE HORIZONTAL for it to work.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
jtolleson said:
The owner of the local bike shop told me to follow the direction of the pedals in reverse that is the way to loosen the pedals. It works. Pedal wrench? I just used a 15mm open end wrench and had no problems on either my mtb or rb. I replaced them with Crank Brothers Candy C's and Quattro's respectively. No wrenches there though, I had to use an allen wrench 8mm if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
As a precaution, put the chain on the big ring before you do anything.

If the bike is standing on the ground, leaning across the top tube works best for me. I stand on the bike's drive side to loosen the non-drive side pedal, and vice versa. Careful with belt buckles and jeans buttons so you don't scratch the top tube finish.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
jtolleson said:
an easier way to remember is that the wrench will be turning the OPPOSITE direction the pedal would be turning naturally to back it off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Removing Pedals

I had my LBS to order me a Park Tool pedal wrench. I read many articles including my Park Tool Blue book. I was still not able to get the pedal off. I know which way to turn the wrench and I know about the reverse threads on the left pedal. Still, I could not get the pedals off. I thought I was going to have to lock one pedal in a vice. Finally, I took my bike to my LBS and gave him my wrech and watched. The guy placed my right pedal at about the 12:00 position, then placed his body over and above the pedal. Then without having to hold onto the other pedal, he just "hunkered" down on the right pedal and it came off. Same on the other side. It was amazing!

Dennis

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Just like your feet.

I put the crank and pedal in the forward position, the same position I would put it if I were going to step on it with my foot. Then I attach the wrench in the same position my foot would go if I were stepping on the pedal (the handle end of the wrench points towards the back of the bike). Then push down on the wrench, as if I was pushing with my foot in a pedaling motion.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I bought a pedal wrench from Park years ago. best tool I ever purchased. I used it more than everything, except a few various sized allen wrenches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts