Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
the only way to get rid of rust is to replace the parts. But, you can teporarly remove it with either steel wool, sand paper, or navel jelly. Self ething primer, then paint will slow it's return.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Visitor302 said:
the only way to get rid of rust is to replace the parts. But, you can teporarly remove it with either steel wool, sand paper, or navel jelly. Self ething primer, then paint will slow it's return.
I've tried the navel, doesn't work nearly as well as the naval, even if I do have to buy the latter instead of just digging the former out of my belly button. (Yeah, I need a life.)

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
It's hard to find stainless, metric, hex-socket, button-head bolts at retail stores. Usually had to order from an industrial distributor, such as http://www.mcmaster.com .

But even Mcmaster doesn't have the tapered, smooth, deep-head, hex-socket screws. Standard hex-socket ("allen") screws will probably work OK in most cases, but the bike-specific screws look so much prettier ;-). Anyone know of suppliers for these types of screws ??

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I use naval jelly. I apply it liberally with a Q-tip, let it sit for about 20-30 min., then wipe it off with a clean Q-tip. If you can find Q-tips with a wooden shaft they work much better. You can insert them into a chuck of a cordless drill or a Dremel to "ream out" the inside of the allen head. When it's nice & clean & dry, I coat it with clear, matte finish fingernail polish. I use 2 or 3 coats. This keeps them nice looking for at least a season. I treat all the screw/bolt heads on my bike like that. It's easier if you start when they're new & good looking, but IME, they clean up quite nicely.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
tom_h said:
But even Mcmaster doesn't have the tapered, smooth, deep-head, hex-socket screws. Standard hex-socket ("allen") screws will probably work OK in most cases, but the bike-specific screws look so much prettier ;-). Anyone know of suppliers for these types of screws ??
Right under my nose!
The "TSHCS - Tapered Socket Head Cap Screw" at Mettec look pretty nice.
Scroll down a page at : http://www.mettec.com/Motorcycles-RR2.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.