Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a SLR that is worn out along the front edges. I love this saddle and since I am cheap and I dont want to buy a new one, I was going to remove the cover and padding and try and ride just the carbon mold.

Anyone try this? If so how did it work out for you?

Thanks!

Gall

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gall said:
Hello,

I have a SLR that is worn out along the front edges. I love this saddle and since I am cheap and I dont want to buy a new one, I was going to remove the cover and padding and try and ride just the carbon mold.

Anyone try this? If so how did it work out for you?

Thanks!

Gall
Go to Save some weight forum. I believe some do this for that purpose but don't know what the comfort level would be.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Just trim it

Gall said:
My SLR nose leather wore through and started to peel at 2500 miles (pretty cheesy, IMO). I trimmed off the loose edges with a utility knife, and have done a few touch-ups since. The saddle will have 24K miles on it by the end of this week and the leather has worn along the sides nearly all the way around. I've contemplated peeling everthing off, but what's the point? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
My SLR nose leather wore through and started to peel at 2500 miles (pretty cheesy, IMO). I trimmed off the loose edges with a utility knife, and have done a few touch-ups since. The saddle will have 24K miles on it by the end of this week and the leather has worn along the sides nearly all the way around. I've contemplated peeling everthing off, but what's the point? :)

Yea mine is 4 rides old, and I can already see some slight wear to the edges....man that pisses me off when I drop that much on something and it wears like a walmart item:mad2: .

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
WHat do you people do to your saddles? I don't think I've ever worn through any saddle before I got tired of it and replaced it with something else. I have had SLRs, Flites and now an Arione. None seem to suffer from premature wear. To the guy with a saddle wearing after 4 rides...take it back to the shop. That sounds like a defective saddle to me.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
WHat do you people do to your saddles? I don't think I've ever worn through any saddle before I got tired of it and replaced it with something else. I have had SLRs, Flites and now an Arione. None seem to suffer from premature wear. To the guy with a saddle wearing after 4 rides...take it back to the shop. That sounds like a defective saddle to me.
Not sure what I do, but I have two SLRs and both of them have no leather or padding on the sides. When they get to this point they start to damage my shorts so I have to replace them. I actually just replaced the second one a couple of weeks ago with a Brooks. I'm tired on spending so much for the SLR and it not last more than a season or two.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The SLR has very thin leather - I wish Selle Italia would use Lorica than Selle San Marco on their racing saddles. One of these days, I'm going to buy a regular (no cut-out) Aspide. Sure, it's about 20-30 grams heavier than the SLR - but it's a lot more durable.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,046 Posts
I went to an Aspide after the nose of my Selle Italia saddle wore badly. It still looks great thousands of miles later. But I recently did pick up a Selle Italia SLC saddle which has a carbon nose. We'll see if it fares any better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.