Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you all get off? Do you clean it all the way? And I don't want to hear tufo sucks.
Thanks.

Tim

·
Registered
674 Posts
I actually had to do this about two weeks ago...
When you peel the tire off (which wasn't as hard as people here tell you) the intermediate tape will stay on top of the layer of glue that is attached to the rim. Remove that part of the table (pretty easy to do).

I did the following on my wheels:
1) On the first one, I applied Goof-Off to a rag and scrubbed small sections of the glue with it just enough to get them wet with the Goof-Off. After about 10 mins, the Goof-Off had broken down the glue enough that all it took was a little bit of scrubbing with the rag again for the glue to come off. I ended with a pristine rim in about an hour total with not that much elbow grease spent in the process.

2) I noticed on the 2nd tire that the layer of glue next to the rim was still surprisingly tacky so I decided to experiment and just applied a coat of Mastik One on top of that one and mounted the extra tubular I had prepped for this. It actually was glued very well.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Did you do this on carbon rims? I just tried a heat gun, but the carbon got too hot and made me nervous but the glue came off. This tape is old. I'll try the goof off tomorrow.

Tim

·
Registered
579 Posts
The bond between the Mastik and the Tufo is not very strong. Strong enough for most, yes, but....well, let me just say that I would not let a customer leave the store with a wheel like that. Then again, we also refuse to use Tufo tape.

·
Registered
674 Posts
the Inbred said:
The bond between the Mastik and the Tufo is not very strong. Strong enough for most, yes, but....well, let me just say that I would not let a customer leave the store with a wheel like that. Then again, we also refuse to use Tufo tape.
You should have seen me at last Sunday's race then...to see how strong that bond was.

I had a slow leak on that rear Conti (caused by a little off-road excursion to avoid a crash halfway into the 90 km race). I felt the tire was riding soft but it appeared ok so I kept on riding. We were bombing down the descent at 60 kph+ for the last 3 laps and that tire held STRONG. I only noticed at the end of the race that it was down to about 50-70 psi . I checked the tire bond and it was VERY VERY STRONG. Oh, did I mention that the race was held at 2 pm in 95 F weather?? Even now, the wheel is sitting right next to me and I am not looking forward to swapping out the tire...it's going to be a tough one. Will the bond degrade over the course of some weeks? who knows...I only know that from the time when I glued them until today they are VERY WELL attached to the rim.

I'm with you on the Tufo tape thing though.Tufo tape was a one time experiment for me...I'm sticking with glue from now on.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here's my final thought, the tape that was on there was months and months old. It hardened on the rim, the front wheel tape quite new and came off in minutes. DON'T LEAVE THE TAPE ON EXPOSED TO AIR! hhahahaha

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.