Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to Italy in mid-May to ride in the Bormio area and wondering what my options are for renting bikes?
I'll be in Milan for a few days prior so I can always rent there and return.

Just wondering what info you guys might have...obviously I'd prefer to rent something comparable to what I own, which is a Cento Uno SL.

·
Banned
225 Posts
lastchild said:
I'm heading to Italy in mid-May to ride in the Bormio area and wondering what my options are for renting bikes?
I'll be in Milan for a few days prior so I can always rent there and return.

Just wondering what info you guys might have...obviously I'd prefer to rent something comparable to what I own, which is a Cento Uno SL.

C'mon...It's Italy afterall! For the right price you'll be able to find anything Italy produces for the right pri$ce!!! :)

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, you'd think there would be a little more info!
I might have to ship my own bike which would be a drag.

·
Registered
74 Posts
On my last trip to Italy, near Siena, I ended up borrowing a beat up mt bike. Still I had a blast on the hilly roads and was glad for the lower gearing. What I saw for rent in shops was all hybrid type bikes. Never saw a road bike for rent. But that was five years ago. Hopefully, things have changed.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Lots of people go to the Adriatic coast to stay at 'bike hotels' around Riccione, like this one:
http://www.belvederericcione.com/en/
Most of these places rent some pretty nice road bikes.

Google is your friend. If you search for 'cycling hotel bormio italy' you will get links like this one:
http://www.hotelfunivia.it/en_bici-da-strada.aspx
They claim to be able to set you up with a Pinarello road bike. Have fun, I'd love to ride there some day.

·
Mrsdamanii
202 Posts
lastchild said:
I might have to ship my own bike which would be a drag.
I would definitely try to avoid this. I was researching a cycling vacation in Italy and shipping a bike was crazy expensive, like nearly as much as a plane ticket for round trip shipping.

I had good luck with Google for finding bike rentals. You could also ask the hotel you're staying at for a recommendation. There are also a chain of bike hotels. The problem I had was finding high end bikes for rent, but Google eventually delivered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you consider shipping a bike, look at the Ritchey Break-a-way bikes.

That is what he built it to do. It normally goes as a piece of luggage, and it is a no compromise bike once it is assembled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts