Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a repair stand. It will be used for basic maintenance chores like cleaning, lubing and tuning. I think I want to go with a design like the stands in the picture as opposed to a “clamp type” design (clamps the seatpost or a frame tube). This just looks like a more secure platform with less of a chance for the stand itself to damage the bike. My questions as follows.

1. Are there any drawbacks to this type of stand?
  2. Any recommendations as to the exact make/model I should buy?

Thank you in advance for your input. Thanks to Mosovich for his picture from the Tour of GA that I borrowed for this post.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
I recently purchased, but have not yet received, a Tacx Cyclespider Team stand. I had checked around quite a bit beforehand and just liked the design. I had a similar thread not too long ago - check out the responses to my thread.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=46923
I know the one of the wheels has to be removed when using this design and that set up requires a little more time, but it's not like I'm in a huge rush anyway. I find that working on my bicycle is kind therapeutic, if you know what I mean. Another reason is because Park stands cost a bloody fortune here in Europe and I saw absolutely no reason to not go with the Tacx. Good luck with your choice.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I tried to get the Tacx, but here in the US nobody could get them in stock. I wound up getting the Park PRS-20, which is the same idea, and I like it.

I think Park has changed the tripod on the new stands to aluminum or something, since a number of places are marking down the steel ones. Personally, I like the heavy weight of the steel legs--makes the stand steadier.

If you search on PRS-20, you'll probably find a bunch of threads where I've opined about the pluses and minuses of these stands.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i just bought a awsome repair stand made by a company called fezzari If anyone is looking for a stand PLEASE check them out www.fezzari.com ask for chris w. This stand only cost 130.00 with shipping ! this stand is heavy duty weight about 10lbs I'm so happy with it !!!!!! I dont think for the money that you can find anything better

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Minoura RSX I got from Nashbar for under 30 bucks during one of their promotions. It's perfect for what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, it seems like the price is higher now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts