Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess my Shimano Ultegra WH-6500 wheels aren't completely bomb-proof after all. As my LBS shop dude noted I "exceeded the design specifications for that rim" by dropping the rear wheel into a parallel storm grate doing about 20 mph on sunday. Grrr. :mad2:
Fortunately, I didn't crash, but the rim is dead.
LBS says they *might* be able to repair the rim - it's a 2000 year set with about 6K on them - or I could just (ha!) get a new set. Repair would run around $300 vs. $700+ for new.
Bike is a 1999 Seven Axiom Ti, rebuilt in 2005 with Dura Ace and an FSA compact crank.
I currently am demo'ing a set of Easton Orion II's and honestly,I'm not all that thrilled with them. They seem sort of dead compared to the Shimanos. Maybe my "dead" is someone elses' "stiff" and it's a good thing, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, some other options at the shop are:
Shimano Dura Ace
Fulcrum Racing 3's
Kysrium Elites
Was wondering what your thoughts were on these choices and whether I should attempt to repair what I have or buy new.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can use this as an excuse to upgrade your wheels. If there is any question about the integrity of the rim, trash it (do not sell it to someone else). If the hub is in good shape, buy a new rim and either build the wheel yourself or have your LBS do it. A new rim and wheel build should be much less than $300.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tlite48 said:
You can use this as an excuse to upgrade your wheels. If there is any question about the integrity of the rim, trash it (do not sell it to someone else). If the hub is in good shape, buy a new rim and either build the wheel yourself or have your LBS do it. A new rim and wheel build should be much less than $300.
I wouldn't sell it to anyone else. I'd probably keep the undamaged front wheel as a spare.
My estimate for repair may be high - I was told $125 for the rim, plus spokes, plus labor. LBS said the wheel is a PIA to build and labor cost would be high. I have no experience or equipment to build a wheel and would not attempt it myself. I suppose we could re-use the spokes and bring it closer to $200. The hub is in fine shape.
Thanks.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Hand built?

For $300, you could get a new wheel set based on Ultegra hubs that would essentially equal the performance of your current wheels. For considerably less than that you could get a rear wheel based on a Dura Ace hub. All go, no show, but your best value option.

·
Rep *****.
9,820 Posts
Regina said:
Well, I guess my Shimano Ultegra WH-6500 wheels aren't completely bomb-proof after all. As my LBS shop dude noted I "exceeded the design specifications for that rim" by dropping the rear wheel into a parallel storm grate doing about 20 mph on sunday. Grrr. :mad2:
Fortunately, I didn't crash, but the rim is dead.
LBS says they *might* be able to repair the rim - it's a 2000 year set with about 6K on them - or I could just (ha!) get a new set. Repair would run around $300 vs. $700+ for new.
Bike is a 1999 Seven Axiom Ti, rebuilt in 2005 with Dura Ace and an FSA compact crank.
I currently am demo'ing a set of Easton Orion II's and honestly,I'm not all that thrilled with them. They seem sort of dead compared to the Shimanos. Maybe my "dead" is someone elses' "stiff" and it's a good thing, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, some other options at the shop are:
Shimano Dura Ace
Fulcrum Racing 3's
Kysrium Elites
Was wondering what your thoughts were on these choices and whether I should attempt to repair what I have or buy new.
Thanks much.
I cracked the rear of my WH-6500s also (about 40k miles on them). I didnt see the point in repairing wheels that old. Anyone need some WH-6500 spokes?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to rebuild

bigbill said:
Get the Fulcrums and then write a post about them. They look cool and have a good company behind them.

Thanks for everyone's input.
I've decided it's worth it to me to just rebuild the Shimano's. I really like the wheels, they have only about 6K miles on them - not a huge amount - and they've been trouble free and true for 5.5 years.
...so, what's old will be new again!

·
Rep *****.
9,820 Posts
Regina said:
Thanks for everyone's input.
I've decided it's worth it to me to just rebuild the Shimano's. I really like the wheels, they have only about 6K miles on them - not a huge amount - and they've been trouble free and true for 5.5 years.
...so, what's old will be new again!
I guess 3 hundred is not so bad if your getting back wheels you already like. I got 40k trouble free miles out of my WH-6500s. Mine cracked along the braking surface where it had been worn thin. I figured the front was also worn thin so didnt bother to get them repaired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.