Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got ran off the road a few weeks ago, hit a curb, and my tubular went instantly flat. I was more than a little upset - my Vittoria Corsa Evo CX had maybe 200 miles on it, and... boom. flat.

I just finally got around to getting the tire off, and found the cause of the flat - a tear by the valve stem. Is there any way to fix a tear at the stem on a tubular? I know it's either impossible or ridiculously difficult to fix an innertube, but on an $80 tubular, I'm willing to go through a lot more trouble.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
estone2 said:
I got ran off the road a few weeks ago, hit a curb, and my tubular went instantly flat. I was more than a little upset - my Vittoria Corsa Evo CX had maybe 200 miles on it, and... boom. flat.

I just finally got around to getting the tire off, and found the cause of the flat - a tear by the valve stem. Is there any way to fix a tear at the stem on a tubular? I know it's either impossible or ridiculously difficult to fix an innertube, but on an $80 tubular, I'm willing to go through a lot more trouble.

The only way to fix it is to replace the tube. A normal mortal can not do this.

If the casing is good, you can send it here.....http://tirealert.com/

Since this is a racing tire, I recomend the $24 tube job, instead of the $20 tube job.
The $20 would be fine for a training tire.

It's cheaper if you can get some friends to group their flat tires, and send them in together, for a quantity discount.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
The only way to fix it is to replace the tube. A normal mortal can not do this.

If the casing is good, you can send it here.....http://tirealert.com/

Since this is a racing tire, I recomend the $24 tube job, instead of the $20 tube job.
The $20 would be fine for a training tire.

It's cheaper if you can get some friends to group their flat tires, and send them in together, for a quantity discount.
Sweet, thanks grumps!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I can second the support for TireAlert. Ron is great to work with and does a very nice job. I've used him a couple times...

FYI-When he replaces the tube he'll sew the tire back together and use a white base tape that soaks up glue like crazy as compared to the Vittoria. So, be aware when you are ready to replace this tire a good portion of the base tape will probably stay adhered to the wheel as you rip the old one off. Just more of a PITA to clean and prep for the next tire. Not sure if he has different base tape he could use to prevent this? Might be worth asking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts