Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a multipart chamois where the top layer is some sort of wicking fabric that is bonded to the dense foam part of the chamois. The cloth part is coming un-bonded. There appears to be some sort of silicone like strip underneath the edge of the cloth part. Any ideas on how to repair this? It seems like the more technical the chamois have become over the years the less durable they've become.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'd probably sew it. Are you sure it was glued and not sewn?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a multipart chamois where the top layer is some sort of wicking fabric that is bonded to the dense foam part of the chamois. The cloth part is coming un-bonded. There appears to be some sort of silicone like strip underneath the edge of the cloth part. Any ideas on how to repair this? It seems like the more technical the chamois have become over the years the less durable they've become.
Mix up some concrete and glue it back together or buy some new shorts you cheap mother****er.

Reactions: Newnan3

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I may have no other choice but I am getting tired off paying $100+ for bibs that don't last more than a season or two. In this case I've had them two years and used them in rotation with a few other pairs.

·
Administrator
13,055 Posts
Moderators Note

Mix up some concrete and glue it back together or buy some new shorts you cheap mother****er.
Welcome to Timeout Town, population You.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Well, I may have no other choice but I am getting tired off paying $100+ for bibs that don't last more than a season or two. In this case I've had them two years and used them in rotation with a few other pairs.
What's wearing out? How are you washing them?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not had too many pairs make it to "wearing out". They are using falling apart before then. In this case is was the multi-part chamois becoming unbonded. However, most times that my bibs fail young is due to threading coming undone, usually around the chamois. I will admit that I wash my bibs in the washer (on gentle cycle). I do not use a dryer on them. In one recent case I had a pair of high-end bibs (I wont mention the brand) that are often touted on this board. After one season the threading around the chamois become undone. The company fixed them under warranty. They made it about halfway through the next season (in rotation with several other pairs) before the threads gave up again. I had them fixed again (no charge) this winter and have used them once this season so far with no issues. While its great they fixed them under warranty that should not have happened in the first place. Ironically I have some low end Giordana and Performance bibs that I've had so long I cant remember and they've held up great, although they are not as comfortable as my higher-end bibs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.