1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It just means they added silicone sealant. I guess if you have your lbs do it instead of doing it yourself it's been done 'professionally'.

If you have a flat this time of year and the tire itself isn't damaged, and you are in the US, I'd send it to that tubular repair place in Florida to have the tube replaced.

I don't want to start a flame war here, and I know that flats happen, but the seller claims those tubbies were only riddden 4 times and they had 2 flats! Not inspiring a lot of confidence....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought

euro-trash said:
It just means they added silicone sealant. I guess if you have your lbs do it instead of doing it yourself it's been done 'professionally'.
I don't want to start a flame war here, and I know that flats happen, but the seller claims those tubbies were only riddden 4 times and they had 2 flats! Not inspiring a lot of confidence....
4 rides and 2 flats seems high but... I raced CX in U.K for 8 seasons or so and racing on thorn covered fields causes waay too many flats (gotta love them English roses!!) plus he is 200lbs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
dreww said:
I have always either added sealant i.e Tufo and I hear Stans works too or pulled out the tube and repaired and resewn it (big job if you are not skilled with a needle)

But I came across this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclocross-whee...223668009QQcategoryZ58089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure what "professionally sealed with silicone" means - but I'm interested, anyone familiar with this method?
He said latex, not silicone. Latex is the active ingredient in Stan's and Tufo and Slime and Fix a Flat and anyting else along those lines. I don't know how he can show those bare rims with all the anodize worn off the brake path and claim they were only used for four races. Unless he's not mentioning a few thousand training miles.

Ron

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to set the record straight

For those speculators out there I am the seller of those wheels. I was unlucky having 2 flats but as dreww said some courses are more prone to problems than others.

As the tubs are tubeless it doesn't matter about sealing an inner tube, just the hole in the tread. Anyone famliar with Tufo's will know that as long as you seal the hole with latex/silicone it will stay sealed for ever. These were sealed from the outside in rather than the inside out (check the photos) and have never gone flat after my misfortunes. I am now upgrading to Dugast so these tyres, though good are redundant.

Finally I live in the NW of England where it pisses with rain all the time. Wet mud has a habit of removing the anodising within one ride as anybody here will tell you, so yes the anodising is gone but a close inspection of the rim will show you that it itself is not worn. The cross community here in England is close knit and I am not about to get myself a name for dodgy dealing within it.

Any body with any questions is welcome to address them to me via the site where I have a 100% record.

Alan

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
aljames said:
Any body with any questions is welcome to address them to me via the site where I have a 100% record.
Alan,

If I hadn't just bought a pair of tubular wheels and a pair of Flexus tubies, I'd have snatched these as a bargain even with shipping to this side of the pond ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vote of confidence

Thanks Gripped- I'll take that as a vote of confidence for a community where we all rely on the goodwill and trust of other enthusiasts in spending our hard earned pounds/dollars/euros. I myself have bought loads of second hand gear saving a fortune and ending up with exactly what I expected.

Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts