Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several pair of good bib shorts and tights (Descente, Pearl Izumi, De Marchi, Castelli), and I have a bit of a call it a situation -- I (for unknown reasons) seem to sit just a wee bit off center (always have, been riding for almost 20 years), and my left leg rubs more on the saddle than my right leg (talking about up near the crotch) as I pedal. I have always wore saddles out due to the cover wearing through on the left side of the nose, no matter what saddle it is (I have had many). Doesn't happen overnight, but this is the first area in both saddles and shorts that wear shows up.

The net effect of this is that I wear out shorts and tights a bit prematurely, I wear a hole near the chamois, on the left leg. This problem seemed to be a real issue this past year, as I have ridden more miles, and I think I had a seat (new 08 style Flite) that has a few more distinct edges on the nose. So, I have 1 pair of tights, 3 (more really, a few others a pretty close to a hole) pairs of bib shorts, that are in otherwise good condition, really good condition, excepting this small (say dime size, or smaller) hole in the leg, usually right outside the chamois.

Anyone ever have any success getting a hole in shorts (the lycra portion) repaired ? If so, what technique did you use, did you sew it yourself, patch is somehow, find anywhere to repar them ?

Not that I mind buying good bicycling clothes, I just don't want to trash $100 or $150 pair of shorts (or several) sooner than I have to.

If anyone can provide me with any advice here, direct me to somwhere, that would be great.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
523 Posts
My mother repaired some shorts many years ago. She used some lycra from an old worn out pair of shorts as backing, used some stretchable thread and stitched up the edges. I still wear the shorts occasionally and they work great.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Stitch in Time

DBtheCyclist said:
...sit just a wee bit off center (always have, been riding for almost 20 years), and my left leg rubs more on the saddle than my right leg (talking about up near the crotch) as I pedal...
Have you thought about rotating your saddle just a touch. There is no rule that says you have to have it perfectly aligned. In fact, a slight rotation can do wonders for a saddle sore.

thebadger said:
...used some lycra from an old worn out pair of shorts as backing, used some stretchable thread and stitched up the edges...
Yes, that is the trick - stretchy fabric backing and a sticth that does not bind. I have hand repaired a couple of jerseys and shorts this way.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
The nicer my bibs, the more likely I will go down and burn a hole through them I have had "tailors" fix them up--- a bit nasty, but wearable.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
DB, I wear mine in the exact spot that you do. Unfortunately neither I no my wife had had any luck repairing. I haven't tried tailors, dry cleaners, etc., but I'm going to try it. It's just something I never thought about.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
thebadger said:
My mother repaired some shorts many years ago. She used some lycra from an old worn out pair of shorts as backing, used some stretchable thread and stitched up the edges. I still wear the shorts occasionally and they work great.
She probably used Stitch Witchery which is great for lycra spandex repairs. It acts as an adhesive so you can patch up holes or tears. You can use pretty much any material as the patch, but whatever you use, I recommend you use something that's a similar color to the shorts

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Depending on where the hole is, I have had fine luck repairing a tear just pinching it together and sewing. A worn hole would probably be more difficult than a tear, and would require a fabric patch of some sort. My stuff tends to get tears because I usually damage it while mountain biking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know about the repairs, but since you seem to be sitting off center would tweeking the saddle slightly to the right prevent the rubbing?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've worn a couple of holes through two sets of shorts due to rubbing on the velcro from my seatbag. I fixed the holes with iron-on patches applied to the inside of the shorts. I think they cost $0.99 at Rite Aid. They aren't uncomfortable (I don't even notice they are there), and they are oversized, so the holes should have trouble growing. Just be careful not to melt your spandex when you iron it on.

FWIW - I also "fixed" the velcro by shrinking some 1.5" shrink tube over the exposed velcro on my seatbag.

-JERM

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
"FWIW - I also "fixed" the velcro by shrinking some 1.5" shrink tube over the exposed velcro on my seatbag."

That's a nice idea. Thanks jerm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts