Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Slow Runner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wheels Manufacturing BB86/92 Thread Together Angular Contact Bottom Bracket and the bearings are shot. I have replacement bearings already. The bottom bracket shell does not have to be removed from the bike to remove the bearings. They just press fit into the shell. I'm wondering if anybody has any tips/tricks to pop the old bearings out and press the new bearings in without having to buy a $250 tool. I think I can use a flat blade screwdriver to tap around the edges of the old bearings to get them out. This is a little risky but I think I can do it. I watched some youtube videos where some guy used commonly available brass plumbing parts to make wheel bearing install and extractor tools. Can't find anything for bottom bracket bearings. I'm still searching for something I can buy at Home Depot to make a DIY tool.

This is my bottom bracket.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Well, that will get it IN. As far as getting it OUT, I'd use a punch rather than a screwdriver. Small hits moving around the edge, so that it comes out more-or-les parallel to the bearing face. Never try to push one side out first!

·
Registered
172 Posts
There was a video on here where a guy used woodruff keys and a punch to remove bearings from a hub. This might be similar, looks like the concept would work. I can't find the video now, but it was a neat trick that seemed to work well. If that doesn't work, definitely small hits around the edge. Pushing one side out firs will very likely damage the bore the bearing seats into.

Edit: Found the video. It was Easton hubs, but it looks like it could work for you too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts