Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit flumoxed.

I crashed in a crit this past weekend. Damage to me and the bike was relatively minor. A couple parts on the Record Ergo levers were damaged such that I have to place an order for some replacement parts, and I will be placing the order with Branford (or someplace else if anyone knows someplace cheaper) and incuring the shipping regardless.

So here's the dilema. The right Ergo brake lever (rear brake) was, by appearances, slightly damaged. It clearly hit the ground, and the clear coat is chipped/scrapped through to "bare" carbon in a number of places. I cannot detect any cracks by visual inspection. The replacement is -- ouch! -- $65 bucks. From an aesthetic point of view, yes, I'd like a new lever, but not that badly. I understand that unprotected carbon degrades under direct sunlight, and there may be an undetected crack. Is there really enough of a safety issue to justify replacing this thing? If I don't replace it, am I being penny wise/pound foolish?

Sixty five bucks, wow. BTY, the other damaged part is the left thumb shifter. $25. I've seriously considered just buying a whole new set of levers (~$230) -- that way I'd at least have spares and could canibalize for parts later.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Clear nail polish. Your brake lever isn't exposed to UV radiation enough for UV degradation to be a real concern......unless you live at 15,000 ft and store your bike outside.....

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
alienator said:
Clear nail polish. Your brake lever isn't exposed to UV radiation enough for UV degradation to be a real concern......unless you live at 15,000 ft and store your bike outside.....

Bingo, brings the bike character.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the response -- just needed a bit of a reminder that I probably ought to save the $$ where I can. I hadn't thought of the nail polish idea. That should work very well.

And this will save me $65 to spend on the new wheels I now need -- I discovered this morning that I did in fact tweak my rear rim in this same crash just enough to junk it. Maybe the damage wasn't quite so minor. This was an unwelcome little treat after just pulling the plastic out for some new CF tubies and tires. This hobby is getting way too expensive -- my bike doesn't get stored outdoors, but I might be if my wife ever sees my credit card bills!

As soon as I can get some privacy, I was going to call Ligero.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.