Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some cracking in the rear rim around the nipples, and my lbs suggests I don't bother rebuilding the Ritchey hubs that are a good five years old, if not older (bought the bike used on ebay so don't know for sure). I thought about going to ColoradoCyclist and having their DuraAce custom wheelset, but I have 9-speed DA and the hubs won't work so that's out. I've been looking at the Kysriums. Equipe seems maybe not enough, except price wise ($350 list, cheaper on ebay and online in a few places). The Elite is affordable (I think $550 list but about $400 in a few places). I'm thinking French wheels since I ride a Look KG 381 Jalabert but am not wedded to that idea. Since I just sprang for the Garmin Edge 305HR, my wife isn't too happy about my having to buy wheels, so I have to be frugal. Would you suggest Ksyrium over the Open Pros or a similar wheel? Something else? I'm just under 6' 2" and 190 shooting for 180 this year, and pushing 48 years old, so don't need anything super high performance, but sure want something that I'll be happy with for several years to come. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
bleckb said:
I've got some cracking in the rear rim around the nipples, and my lbs suggests I don't bother rebuilding the Ritchey hubs that are a good five years old, if not older (bought the bike used on ebay so don't know for sure). I thought about going to ColoradoCyclist and having their DuraAce custom wheelset, but I have 9-speed DA and the hubs won't work so that's out. I've been looking at the Kysriums. Equipe seems maybe not enough, except price wise ($350 list, cheaper on ebay and online in a few places). The Elite is affordable (I think $550 list but about $400 in a few places). I'm thinking French wheels since I ride a Look KG 381 Jalabert but am not wedded to that idea. Since I just sprang for the Garmin Edge 305HR, my wife isn't too happy about my having to buy wheels, so I have to be frugal. Would you suggest Ksyrium over the Open Pros or a similar wheel? Something else? I'm just under 6' 2" and 190 shooting for 180 this year, and pushing 48 years old, so don't need anything super high performance, but sure want something that I'll be happy with for several years to come. Thanks for your thoughts.
If you are happy with the Ritchey wheels, just get a new rim from Ritchey and have it rebuilt with the same spokes. So what if the hubs are 5 years old? How many miles are on them? In any case, the Ritchey hubs have cartridge bearings which are easily replaced.

That's going to be your least expensive route...until you get out of the doghouse, that is ;)

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
A Mavic CXP-33 rim laced to an Ultegra 9sp hub would cost you $165 from Excel Sports (use their custom wheel builder) and last a long time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

I think I might be leaning toward rebuilding the present wheel even though my lbs guy doesn't think it worth it. I've been searching eBay for Kysriums, used or new, and since I bought all new downhill ski gear this year (skis, boots and poles) along with the Garmin Edge, my wife thinks I've spent enough for now. And she may be right. Thanks for the suggestions though I still don't know which way I'm gonna go.:confused:

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Pretty hard to beat an Ultegra hub on an Open Pro rim for price, quality, durability, for the all-around rider.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open Pro or CXP 33?

I'd like to find a dura-ace hub that will work with the 9-speed, but may end up ultegra, unless I can find a 9 on ebay or something. Is the open pro less durable than the cxp-33? Can anyone speak to their differences?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts