Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to replace my wheelset to something wider until I realized they are already a decent size at 622x17 inner width, and 24mm outer width. However, the tires seem pretty bargain brand, and I've already had one decent crash when I tried turning in the wet. Mine are teh 60tpi variety.

I was naturally looking at the Continental 4000 S2 to replace them with, in the same 700x25c size. I'm a firm believer in good tires since I come from automotive sports, so are there any redeeming qualities in these Vittorias to keep them, or should I change them out for the awesome Contis, or perhaps something else from the Vittoria family like the Rubino Pro? If the vittorias have a folding bead, it would actually be nice to have one folded up as a spare for longer rides.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Get the Continental GP4000SII as you're thinking. If you think good tires on a car make a big difference wait until you try the same on a bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the Continental GP4000SII as you're thinking. If you think good tires on a car make a big difference wait until you try the same on a bike.
They are good, but how about the Gatorskins? Seems to be the same weight for the 25c for both tires as well, but extra flat protection has its appeal.

Here are all the contenders I've got so far

Continental 4000 S2
Continental Gatorskin (not hardshell)
Vittoria Rubino Pro

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gatorskins are noted for more flat protection, but also higher rolling resistance & harsher ride quality than Conti 4000S2. The Rubino Pro 2 is close to the Conti.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts