Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I had a spoke replaced on a wheel and the new spoke is larger diameter (thicker) than the remaining original spokes. The wheel works fine - should I bring it back to the shop and insist they replace it with the same spec spoke as the rest?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you took the wheel to a shop and asked them to replace the broken spoke they should have used an identical spoke. If that is the case then I would take it back have them replace the wrong spoke with the right one.

Al

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother. You'll never notice any difference without looking close, and it's highly unlikely it will ever affect the performance of the wheel. A spoke of a different diameter will have a slightly different elasticity, but it really won't affect anything. They probably didn't have a spoke of the right length and diameter, so they used the other one. I've replaced lots of spokes with not-quite-identical ones. No biggie.

If it really bugs you, you could take it back and insist. But it really makes no difference.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCavilia said:
Personally, I wouldn't bother. You'll never notice any difference without looking close, and it's highly unlikely it will ever affect the performance of the wheel. A spoke of a different diameter will have a slightly different elasticity, but it really won't affect anything. They probably didn't have a spoke of the right length and diameter, so they used the other one. I've replaced lots of spokes with not-quite-identical ones. No biggie.

If it really bugs you, you could take it back and insist. But it really makes no difference.
Actually, it doesn't bug me at all visually, and I really don't care that they installed the wrong one as long as it's not a big deal functionally. I guess it would have been nice if they'd said: "we would have to order the exact spoke, but we have one in stock that's slightly thicker, but it will work just as well". I assume they used what they had in stock rather than make me wait for a special order. It's a small shop and I don't really expect that they'd have every spoke in stock. Frankly, I was a little bit surprised when they told me they could fix it within a day. At least it's the same color. Heck, even if they'd said they could replace it, but with a silver spoke instead of black, I wouldn't have cared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.