Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In response to the fact that Kreitler (Ekosport) would not warranty a fan belt that broke at the weld I found a manufacturer that guarantees its welds for 2 years and at a better price.
42" fan belts are $9.00
72" roller belts are $13.00
These belts are made of extremely durable Cyclothane-A orange (85-A)

If your interested in purchasing a set e-mail me at [email protected]

John A. Martin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Squint,
Do you use a Killer Headwind attachment? My welds hold seem to hold until I get cranking w/the headwind opened up even half way. Then the fan belt brakes again.
Anyway the engineer I talked to about these Cyclothane-A 85 belts says that if the weld is done right the belt will wear out due to stretch or break where damaged such as from a nick.
I tried clear polyurethane and it worked ok on my roller belt, but it squeaked annoyingly.
Good luck with your bearings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem with the main belt lately. I bought a new one a few years back as my rollers are about 13 years old.
I made a jig and welded the fan belt this afternoon its holding so far.
The stretch is normal and depending on the type of belt acceptable stretch is between 8% and 12%.
At 43.5" you should still go with 42" for a cut length, or so says the belt Guru I'm working with.
Al did his homework well in the design of the rollers we've come to love and cuss!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just clamped two 1"x 4"s together and drilled between them just off center so as the bottom part would be deeper and hold the belt for heating. Then used deck screws to hold them together. The weld broke about 5 minutes into a full open fan workout.
I'm done welding.
I have two sets of belts coming in around Tues/Wed. For $9.00 and $13.00 I figure thats cheap reliability. Talk to ya later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.