Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One bike has Ultegra SL, the other SRAM Red. I'm looking for a cassette that'll work interchangably, that's reasonably light, and won't cost a fortune (those OG1090 cassettes are really expensive) since I need to pick up a few cassettes.

Would the Ultegra SL cassette work on Red? How about a Dura Ace 7800--would that work on both? Seems like 7800 parts are coming down (a bit) in price, so maybe that's the best happy medium? Or perhaps a SRAM Force working on both (I think that's the OG1070)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
any shimano cassette will work w/ sram. you may have to adjust limit screws and cable tension depending on the wheel, but the spacing is exactly the same. 7800 cassettes are getting cheaper, but they don't last as long as the red cassette.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a bunch.

long term perhaps i'll migrate everything over to dura ace 7800 (and keeping the same gear ratios), which should keep things easier.

$200+ for a sram red 1090 cassette (which seems to be the going price, more or less) is nuts. $200 for any cassette is nuts....:mad2:

the trend towards more gear ratios seems kinda silly. 8 or 9 speeds would be lighter, poss. cheaper to manufacture, and realistically, how many of us use all 10 (or even 11!) gears?

cxwrench said:
any shimano cassette will work w/ sram. you may have to adjust limit screws and cable tension depending on the wheel, but the spacing is exactly the same. 7800 cassettes are getting cheaper, but they don't last as long as the red cassette.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
I like how my 9-speed DA weighs less than the 11-speed campy. :D

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
advice...

Any Ti cog will last about half as long as the same cog made from steel, so if any of the Ti cogs on a DA cassette are your most used ones, you might get half the life from a cassette that costs much more than an Ultegra or 105 model.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point.

The ~60 gram difference btw Ultegra and Dura Ace 7800 is roughly $40 (based on a quick glance at a web site):

SRAM OG1090, ~$230, ~155g
Dura Ace 7800, ~$100, ~170g
Ultegra 6600, ~$65, ~235g

Hmmm....that's basically a comical difference in weight (6600 vs. 7800), something I could make up for by drinking 1 less six pack of beer per week...

Looks like my wallet & my general health both thank you for suggesting Ultegra! :thumbsup:

(p.s. yes the weight diff. to SRAM is huge, but I could get 4 cassettes for roughly the price of 1 OG1090, which is a better value proposition for my purposes.)

C-40 said:
Any Ti cog will last about half as long as the same cog made from steel, so if any of the Ti cogs on a DA cassette are your most used ones, you might get half the life from a cassette that costs much more than an Ultegra or 105 model.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
M77PT said:
(p.s. yes the weight diff. to SRAM is huge, but I could get 4 cassettes for roughly the price of 1 OG1090, which is a better value proposition for my purposes.)
2 or 3 swallows of water is a huge difference?

If you are drinking ANY beer, it's a meaningless number.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
life's too short to sacrifice beer in the pursuit of usac category upgrades.... :D

danl1 said:
2 or 3 swallows of water is a huge difference?

If you are drinking ANY beer, it's a meaningless number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts