Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fett
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7700 series DuraAce cranks that the rings are going to need replacing soon. Shimano is pretty proud of their rings as far as pricing. What rings are available out there that are a good value, i.e. lower priced but still shift reasonable well?

My LBS has said that Salsa's are not bad and are reasonbly priced. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
125 Posts
A new pair of DA rings will cost about $100. For much less you can get a new Ultegra crank. If you dont mind mixing DA crank arms with different rings there are lots of possibilities. Chucksbikes.com has a no name pair of rings for only $12 (they also have the Ultegra crank). They dont appear to have shifting ramps/pins so shifting to the big ring may be a little rough and they are TT ratio (55/44) so it will raise your gearing. If you want to stay with Shimano rings, you can use Ultegra (you might as well get the whole crankset), 105, etc.

·
Registered
543 Posts
tlite48 said:
A new pair of DA rings will cost about $100. For much less you can get a new Ultegra crank. If you dont mind mixing DA crank arms with different rings there are lots of possibilities. Chucksbikes.com has a no name pair of rings for only $12 (they also have the Ultegra crank). They dont appear to have shifting ramps/pins so shifting to the big ring may be a little rough and they are TT ratio (55/44) so it will raise your gearing. If you want to stay with Shimano rings, you can use Ultegra (you might as well get the whole crankset), 105, etc.
Not to hijack the post but I currently have Ultegra chainrings 53/39 on a ten speed Ultegra setup. Just wondering if I can get slightly smaller chain rings. Maybe a 50/36 or something that will fit and not need major changes to the derailers or anything else.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Based on other posts I have read, the primary difference between 10 and 9 speed chains is the outside width, the inside width (where the teeth fit) is the same. 9 and 10 speed Ultegra chainrings should be fully compatible (do a search to confirm on other posts). I think the smallest chainring that will fit a 130 mm bolt pattern is a 38 tooth, not 36. You should not need to touch derailleur screws.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I have one of these on my fixie.

tlite48 said:
Chucksbikes.com has a no name pair of rings for only $12 (they also have the Ultegra crank). They dont appear to have shifting ramps/pins so shifting to the big ring may be a little rough and they are TT ratio (55/44)
It's held up ok, but it is a little further from round than the average chainring. No amount of tightening and loosening the chainring bolts can get it centered so the chain tension is constant.

Over the years, Stronglight has made rings that are a good value. Check out XXCycle.com for prices

·
Registered
543 Posts
tlite48 said:
Based on other posts I have read, the primary difference between 10 and 9 speed chains is the outside width, the inside width (where the teeth fit) is the same. 9 and 10 speed Ultegra chainrings should be fully compatible (do a search to confirm on other posts). I think the smallest chainring that will fit a 130 mm bolt pattern is a 38 tooth, not 36. You should not need to touch derailleur screws.
Where could I get one of these 38 tooth rings. It will help, however how small on the hills. I have a 12-25 on the rear and dont want to change to a 27 as I like the spacing I have. I also wouldnt mind a 50 for a big ring.

·
Registered
359 Posts
rusa1586 said:
It's held up ok, but it is a little further from round than the average chainring. No amount of tightening and loosening the chainring bolts can get it centered so the chain tension is constant.

Over the years, Stronglight has made rings that are a good value. Check out XXCycle.com for prices
I've bought and used Stronglight rings from XXCycle as well. The ones I bought were pricey titanium but they lasted better than I expected. I've always had the best luck with Campagnolo chain rings. They outlast anything else I've ever tried.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i got some stronglight from XXcycle.com

shipped from france, lasted 3yrs for the small ring, big 'un still in use, very nice.

QUOTE=Fett]I have a 7700 series DuraAce cranks that the rings are going to need replacing soon. Shimano is pretty proud of their rings as far as pricing. What rings are available out there that are a good value, i.e. lower priced but still shift reasonable well?

My LBS has said that Salsa's are not bad and are reasonbly priced. Any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
376 Posts
May be TOO cheap, but check Nashbar

They sell replacement rings. I bought them for one of my kid's bikes because the price was right. The bag said Nashbar, but the rings are Stronglight. Pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry I dont know what 7700 DA stipulates, but...

I have seen and heard that TA rings are very nice and are available in numerous sizes. The buzz is that they are very durable. They look to be quality items and I am having a heck of a time wearing out mine. I think Peter White Cycles has a bunch, and on eBay I have gotten some.

Fett said:
I have a 7700 series DuraAce cranks that the rings are going to need replacing soon. Shimano is pretty proud of their rings as far as pricing. What rings are available out there that are a good value, i.e. lower priced but still shift reasonable well?

My LBS has said that Salsa's are not bad and are reasonbly priced. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Go to eBay and find a "nearly new" Dura-Ace or Ultegra crank. Snag the rings, sell the crankarms again. You should be out maybe 50 bucks.

I don't use the fishing reels, but that's how it worked fer me and Chorus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.