Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XTR rings are worn and sucking chain w burrs. I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to replace them. Does anyone know where I can buy those rings cheap? Should I just be looking for a whole crankset? Will a 960/970 crankset be compatible with the threst of my old stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Aaaahh., the main reason I refuse to use XTR cranks. Stupid BCD chain rings.

I have never seen chainrings for XTR cranks "cheap". If you were going to buy new cranks I would buy something with a standard BCD.

Will a new crank work with your old stuff? Should do but you will need to change the chain and cluster.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,191 Posts
Dr. Nob said:
Will a new crank work with your old stuff? Should do but you will need to change the chain and cluster.
If yer not racing, chances are pretty good you won't need to change the chain or the cluster- I've never had any problems after changing a crank.
 

·
Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
uvarmint said:
My XTR rings are worn and sucking chain w burrs. I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to replace them. Does anyone know where I can buy those rings cheap? Should I just be looking for a whole crankset? Will a 960/970 crankset be compatible with the threst of my old stuff?
XTR has a special lockring-ed on outer ring that everything else bolts to. I haven't found too many on ebay, and the ones yer LBS can get are SPEN-DEE!

M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
buck-50 said:
If yer not racing, chances are pretty good you won't need to change the chain or the cluster- I've never had any problems after changing a crank.
That all depends on ow many k's the drivetrain have done. If the chainrings are look like they could be used as a weapon in a slasher movie and the chain /cluster haven't been changed in a while then new chainrings will likely cause big problems.

I've had chainrings/clusters last 12 months and others last less then 3 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,347 Posts
change out your crankset to 960xtr (cheap now) - grab a xt cassette and dura ace chain while you are at it

strangely this will probably not cost a whole lot more than replacing the rings on you 950!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top