Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
Joined
·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I've gone through old Dia Compe N500's and recently some older Shimano 600 nutted brakes. Every time I hop on my new bike with Ultegra brakes I am reminded about how little stopping power these old brakes have.

Any tricks for setting up old school nutted single pivot brakes? Any method to adapt current day stoppers on a frame built for nutted brakes?

Note - To keep things retro I'm using old block style rubber brake pads (you know the kind with the metal backing wrapping around the rear of the rubber block?)... I have been toying with putting on some current day threaded Kool Stops. I'd loose the retro look but I might be able to actually slow down on the hills!
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Steve-O said:
Okay... I've gone through old Dia Compe N500's and recently some older Shimano 600 nutted brakes. Every time I hop on my new bike with Ultegra brakes I am reminded about how little stopping power these old brakes have.
Find some old centerpull Shimano Tourney brakes. Set them up with new Ultegra pads. You'll be amazed! 'Course, you'll have to set the bike up with centerpull cable hangers to make this work. Alternatively, find some Galli sidepulls on eBay. They work really well also, especially with modern pads.

Steve-O said:
Any tricks for setting up old school nutted single pivot brakes? Any method to adapt current day stoppers on a frame built for nutted brakes?
Drill out the back hole on the fork crown for the recessed bolt, if there is clearance. A good LBS could do this for you, if you are squeamish about cutting metal on your own frame.

Steve-O said:
Note - To keep things retro I'm using old block style rubber brake pads (you know the kind with the metal backing wrapping around the rear of the rubber block?)... I have been toying with putting on some current day threaded Kool Stops. I'd loose the retro look but I might be able to actually slow down on the hills!
As I mentioned, the new Ultegra pads on old brakes REALLY improve braking performance. Some of the slots on old brakes are too small to fit the Ultegra pads, so do a fit check before you buy. I'm not familiar with the Kool Stops, but they probably would help.

Good luck!

- FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Try of the gray Kool-Stop "Continentals". They're retro and work great. Night and day compared to old dry Dia-Compes, Campy, etc. Also rebulid the calipers, dressing the pivot "flats" with a file to truly flatten. Grease between all washers and adjust locknuts properly. A little light oil where the springs slide in the arms. Use good quality cables and housings. That's about all you can do.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top