Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
15,133 Posts
The 2014 Synapse carbon forks have a carbon steerer and you cannot use a head tube extender. But fear not, there are a couple of ways to get a more upright position.

1) Tilt your handlebars upward slightly. This will move your position more upright while you have your hands on top of the hoods. Cost $0.00

2) Change to a more upright stem, not necessarily shorter. They are made as upright as 40 degrees and come in different lengths. The one I have is 120mm. You should probably get one similar in length to what you have. Cost $59.99 + shipping + tax:

Bontrager Race Lite Stem (+/-40-degree Rise) - Bike Line Indianapolis Broad Ripple Carmel

This is what I did to get a more upright position on my 2014 Synapse and it worked for me. Hope this helps!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
15,133 Posts
Did the rise of the stem affect the handling of the bike?

I did not notice a change in the handling characteristics. Some may, but I find it very stable. If you are concerned with this, ride with care until you get used to it.

The only thing you may have to watch for is when lifting the bike, the bars will have more of a tendency to turn left or right. I make a note of this so you don't inadvertently whack the top tube with the end of your handlebar! :eek:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts