Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my rear pads are rather worn and need to replace them. I am thinking about Koolstops this time around, but not sure what model I need or if anyone has a better suggestion.

All input appreciated!

Thank you!

EEC

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
i believe Dura ACe inserts fits in those holders

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Unless you never ride in the wet, Koolstop salmon are the best, IME. Otherwise, Koolstop black. The holders or one-piece units with the spherical washers (rather than the simple bolt/nut) are worth the few bucks extra, for the adjustability.

Replace both sets while you're at it. They are so much better than Tektro original pads.

View attachment 279572
View attachment 279573

·
Registered
834 Posts
If your tektro brakes are like mine they are cartridge holders so you can save yourself some money and avoid having to buy the whole pad and holder. YOu just remove a small allen screw, slide out the old pad, slide in the new pad and replace the screw and you're done.

Most people recommend the koolstop salmon pads. I try not to ride in the rain if possible and there is no snow out here in Sun Diego so I opted to get the black pads as they are a little harder and will theoretically last a bit longer.

So:

Salmon: wet/all around
Black: dry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.