Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New rider here. I have a stock Trek 1500. It came with a Bontrager Race Lux saddle. I find it a bit uncomfortable. I am considering the Brooks B17 or the Brooks swift. IS there a big difference and how long is the break in period? I have heard 6 month. I need something thats gonna work soon. I need comfort. Any input is appreciated. Or do I need to let the Bontrager break in more?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
No break in period for a plastic saddle

It is what it is, your arse breaks into the saddle, not the other way around. Now Brooks saddles, form to your arse somewhat and have some give and flexing due to their construction. I have 2 Brooks Pros, a Selle San Marco Regal and a Rolls. I'm sure some will disagree with me here, saddles and comfort are determined by width and tilt and then you get into the whole shorts issue too. But width and tilt, gotta get them working together to figure out what is not comfortable. Once you have that figured out and then describe what is uncomfortable we can probably help with opinions. By the way, the saddles i listed, they are all about the same width.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My B17N took approximately 5 miles to break in. That includes two stops to adjust tilt and setback. I intended to stop again to fidget with it, but I forgot. 25 miles later I remembered I was supposed to be breaking in a new saddle.

The break in thing is a myth IMO. Getting the seat in the right position is all it takes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts