Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a few bikes where the stem bolts are rusted inside the wrench holes. Looking for replacement Stem Bolts for Ritchey Pro and Bontager stem. Thought the generic m6 bolts would be a match, but the Rictchet bolts seem thicker.

Anyone have a generic source or know if the m6 socket bolts will work?

I couldn't find any parts or replacement bolts listed on Ritchey site.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a few from Bike Tools Etc., the heads on the cap bolts are different. The Ritchey ones have bigger caps and chrome finished.....
The cap area is definitely different.

Other than appearance what does the typical bike shop do? get the bolts from the mfg or just pop on a few standard fasteners?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Have you tried to contact Ritchey customer support? You might have to call them it they have an 1-800 number.....I emailed them once with a question, never got an answer back..

Some LBS's have a bin with a lot of left over screws and bolts, some used, some new. It doesn't hurt to ask. I got a bolt for my Bontrager Race XXX seatpost for free..

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
ace hardware...

Take the old bolts with you and get stainless steel socket head cap screws from Ace Hardware. No brand will use anything except a standard M5 or M6 thread. The standard socket head will almost always fit.

I've also purchased boxes of 50 bolts from Mcmaster-Carr real cheap just get them long enough, like 16-20mm and they can always be cut shorter if needed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
This is a frequent problem. What I do is apply naval jelly to the rusted area. Just follow the directions on the can. I use toothpicks or Qtips. In order to buff/clean out the insides on the allen heads, I put a Qtip in the chuck of my cordless drill and spin it Dremels are also useful. Once the bolts are clean, I apply 2 coats of clear fingernail polish. Unless you're adjusting them frequently, that treatment should be good for a year or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.