Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to change a chain? I looked at the Park Tools website and YouTube videos and it does not look too hard. I am not very mechanically inclined and have just started collecting some tools to do minor adjustments.

·
Registered
429 Posts
1. Get a chain breaker tool.
2. Read the instructions that come with it.
3. Buy a powerlink for your new chain.
4. Install said powerlink.
5. Put on new chain.
6. Ride
:D

It's not hard at all. Removing a chain is easier than putting a new one on. There are a couple of subtleties for using a chain breaker, but you'll pick those up pretty quick.

·
Registered
534 Posts
follow the above. The only tricky part is making sure you get past the derailleur correctly, there are some tabs the you might route around incorrectly, but you will figure it out real fast. Buy a chain with a quick link, KMC makes some nice ones.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
OP: Once removed from the bike, use the old chain to get the proper length on the new one, just remove one additional link to take account of the quick link. KMC chains are great to work with.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
yakky said:
follow the above. The only tricky part is making sure you get past the derailleur correctly, there are some tabs the you might route around incorrectly, but you will figure it out real fast. Buy a chain with a quick link, KMC makes some nice ones.
Piece of cake. I've never used KMC, but when Shimano went to that stupid non-reusable pin about a dozen years ago, I switched to SRAM. You can install and remove those without a tool, or at least you could the last time I put one on (my riding gets spread over four bikes, so I don't go through chains very fast). You'll still need a breaker to get the old one off, though.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Use a Park Chain Tool.
Shorten 1 Link.
I use the appropriate SRAM PowerLink and Shimano chain.
Never used KMC, but I hear they work well.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Just an add-on: SRAM calls its link for a 10-speed chain PowerLock, as opposed to the old 9-speed PowerLink. SRAM says its PowerLock links are not removable / reusable.

·
Registered
534 Posts
One thing to consider about adding a power link to a shimano chain...

Powerlinks at most local bike stores are about $10. A new KMC chain with a quick link is about $14 online on sale. For $4 you get a new chain.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With a KMC chain and a quick link do you still need a chain tool to get the chain down to the correct size? I looked on their web site and there was no instruction on chain sizing.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
To shorten a chain you need to remove a pin: you need a chain tool.

Shimano 9 speed chains seem to work fine with the SRAM and KMC quick links.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Streamwood Steve said:
With a KMC chain and a quick link do you still need a chain tool to get the chain down to the correct size? I looked on their web site and there was no instruction on chain sizing.
Yes, the chain will always be far too long for a road bike so it must be reduced in size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use an angle grinder, or bench grinder won't let you add a link but removing a link is a piece of cake....:D

I need to know what is the best chain for my old roadie, its a 5 speed centurion from the 80's everything I see is for 7/8/9 speeds...

·
Registered
429 Posts
jaymz350 said:
I use an angle grinder, or bench grinder won't let you add a link but removing a link is a piece of cake....:D

I need to know what is the best chain for my old roadie, its a 5 speed centurion from the 80's everything I see is for 7/8/9 speeds...
BMX / SS chain?

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where are you finding KMC chains for $14. I haven't found them for less than $30. I read that the Performance Forte chain was made by KMC but they seem to have stopped selling them.

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
wim said:
Just an add-on: SRAM calls its link for a 10-speed chain PowerLock, as opposed to the old 9-speed PowerLink. SRAM says its PowerLock links are not removable / reusable.
Yeah, I found that out to my chagrin. I loved the old removable Powerlinks.

First time I replaced a 10-speed SRAM chain, I also discovered you can't just hook the damn thing together by hand. You get it in position, and then get on the bike and use your whole body weight pedaling to make it snap in place. Goofy concept, in my view. The old way was terrific.

The main thing you need to worry about is to be careful about getting the right number of links in the chain. Don't just hold it up to the old chain and say 'That looks about right.' Count them, and mark where you want to break it with a piece of tape. It's easy to screw up the break.

·
Banned
14,484 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
OES said:
I'd never seen this tool! It'll really open a 'Powerlock?' I'm sure the 'Powerlock' is toast after that, huh?
No first-hand experience, but my 190-lb. riding partner has the tool and has used it to open his SRAM PowerLock and re-use it several times. C-40 also has some positive words on this in a recent thread I can't find right now, he's the resident chain expert.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts