Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there:

I have a Kestrel 500SCi with a one-piece, non-replaceable derailleur hanger which snapped off suddenly as I was changing gears (not under a big load). I checked with Kestrel and was told they couldn't repair it. It would be a real shame to turn this frame into a single-speed and I can't spend the money to get an internal hub either.

Could I rivet on replaceable hanger with a similar profile onto the dropout? I'd probably need to rivet the hanger instead of using a bolt because there is little clearance between the inside face of the dropout and the cassette lockring. I would even consider using an adaptor claw except that the dropouts are horizontal. Thanks!!!

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
the fix could be done via a steel adapter claw, or a very thin (is there such thing?) replaceable derailleur hanger.
The new hanger should be of thin material because you'll have either to to spread the frame by that amount, or to enlarge the travel of the RD (depending if the hanger will be on the inside or outside of the dropout).

You have to do 2 more difficult things
- make a hole through the adapter claw, and thread it (a replaceable hanger might already have that threaded hole, or even 2 of them).
- make a corresponding hole through the rear dropout and also cut away the threaded part of the current hanger
A bolt will go thorugh a new hole in the dropout (or 2 new holes) and thread into the hanger. (the rear hub + skewer will hold the claw tight)
after seeing how much the bolts thread in, you'll be able to cut the bolts to correct length, so they'll not stick out and interfere with the chain (given the new hanger will be on the inside of the dropout).

Anyway it's experimental....

good luck
brblue

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I bet a builder could fashion something, but you'd better check out those cracks first

1 - 3 of 3 Posts