Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work last week when my cross bike fell victim to the infamous derailler-into-wheel tragedy. I suspect it was tweaked from last year's race season...
Luckily I was going <5mph, taking it easy up a hill so I was able to stop quickly and only popped one spoke nipple. I called the manufacturer's rep and ordered a new hanger but as I was test-fitting it to the frame last night, it appears that there was some sort of adhesive used between the frame and the hanger. I'm not the original owner of the frame so I'm not sure if it was broken before and replaced--or if this is the original. Does anyone know if I should use adhesive--and if so--what kind?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it was thread locker

It was a tan color, and not a very consistent application across the flat, mating surfaces. But on the subject of thread locker, should I use red or blue lock tite?

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
crestlinefarm said:
It was a tan color, and not a very consistent application across the flat, mating surfaces. But on the subject of thread locker, should I use red or blue lock tite?
Blue.

There's really no stress on a derailleur hanger in normal use. I can't imagine it needing glue in addition to a bolt. Not doubting what you saw, but wonder why someone would do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts