Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get my brother to start biking - mainly for his health.

Problem is he wants to sit pretty much upright. His bike is a Schwinn World X (X == I'm not sure which one), 12 speed with down shifters and a quill stem (or so it appears).

Any suggestions on how I can convert this to a flat bar setup?

TIA!

· Militant commuter
943 Posts
All you'll need is a flat bar, new brake levers to fit the bar and a quill stem adapter/appropriate threadless stem. Leave the D/T shifters where they are unless you want to source thumbshifters for the handlebars. Thumbies can get expensive quick...

Here's a good stem adapter: http://www.velo-orange.com/vothstad.html

Edit: you'll also need appropriate brake cables for the new levers...probably the MTB ones with the barrel-shaped lead at the end.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
the quill stem adapter isn't needed... a flat bar (that you're getting anyway) and maybe a 25.4 to 26.0 shim depending on the diameters of the quill stem and new bars

· Militant commuter
943 Posts
Good point, FTF...if the existing quill stem is the right angle and length for the OP's brother, he might as well keep it and just use a shim with the new flatbar. Saves some money for other upgrades.

· Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SilverStar said:
Good point, FTF...if the existing quill stem is the right angle and length for the OP's brother, he might as well keep it and just use a shim with the new flatbar. Saves some money for other upgrades.
I'm not 100% sure it's a quill, I'll have to check next time I stop by. But it's not a right angle, it angles down quite a bit toward the front.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
AJL said:
I've been trying to get my brother to start biking - mainly for his health.

Problem is he wants to sit pretty much upright. His bike is a Schwinn World X (X == I'm not sure which one), 12 speed with down shifters and a quill stem (or so it appears).

Any suggestions on how I can convert this to a flat bar setup?

TIA!
As others have said, it means changing over a number of parts, possibly including shifters. You might visit the LBS and see if they can cut you a package deal on a take-off bar/stem/lever set.

Many shops do complete handlebar changeovers on new bikes and the take-off stuff tends to accumulate. Though the change is more often drop bar to upright bar, there's always the chance of some going the other way, if they sportify hybrids.

The beauty of buying a take-off is that it's complete, usually including the cables, and leaves you with your own take off if or when your brother decides to switch back.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
FBinNY said:
As others have said, it means changing over a number of parts, possibly including shifters. You might visit the LBS and see if they can cut you a package deal on a take-off bar/stem/lever set.

Many shops do complete handlebar changeovers on new bikes and the take-off stuff tends to accumulate. Though the change is more often drop bar to upright bar, there's always the chance of some going the other way, if they sportify hybrids.

The beauty of buying a take-off is that it's complete, usually including the cables, and leaves you with your own take off if or when your brother decides to switch back.

he's got dt shifters, not ergo/sti/sram... bars w/ some sweep can offset the "angle down"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.