Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to Accelerade endurance this seaon, up from traditional energy drinks, hoping for some added longevity. And true to claims, I believe it helped keep an even and high energy level. BUT...

I never thought I was lactose intolerant, but this stuff is honestly giving me seriously painful gas. Today on a our 65 miles training ride, I was switching between Accelerade Orange and Water. I had the gas the second half of the ride, with about 20 miles ot go, the pain ratched up, and any attempts to evacuate gas risked..um...

Anyway, this stuff always gives me ripping gas, and today it gave me gas pains so bad I couldnt breath. I gave my canister away. I don't want to go back to gatorade, but what are the best alternatives for someone who can't handle all the whey?

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
atlroadie said:
I switched to Accelerade endurance this seaon, up from traditional energy drinks, hoping for some added longevity. And true to claims, I believe it helped keep an even and high energy level. BUT...

I never thought I was lactose intolerant, but this stuff is honestly giving me seriously painful gas. Today on a our 65 miles training ride, I was switching between Accelerade Orange and Water. I had the gas the second half of the ride, with about 20 miles ot go, the pain ratched up, and any attempts to evacuate gas risked..um...

Anyway, this stuff always gives me ripping gas, and today it gave me gas pains so bad I couldnt breath. I gave my canister away. I don't want to go back to gatorade, but what are the best alternatives for someone who can't handle all the whey?
Have you tried other flavors, or just the orange? I'm an Accelerade fan, but the orange gives me an awful reaction as well: gas and even borderline nausea. I don't get that effect with the lemon-lime (taste is a little wierd) or the blue raspberry, which I've found to be the best of the bunch (thought it would taste really wierd,but it's pretty good, and doesn't seem to have the aftertaste of the other flavors). So if you haven't tried any of the other flavors, you might just give the blue raspberry a try and see how it does.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
How long is your average ride? If it's less than 2-3 hrs you don't need the protein. If it is, I'd try either of Hammer nutritions drinks, Perpetium or Sustained energy. Both use soy and they have a lower concentration of protein.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
atlroadie said:

cytomax!

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Cytomax

My wife has problems with cramps from sports drinks too. She has found that Cytomax works for her as long as she mixes it a little on the weak side. I would suggest starting with citrus flavor as it is pretty mellow. Our other favorites are fruit punch and grape.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
My wife has problems with cramps from sports drinks too. She has found that Cytomax works for her as long as she mixes it a little on the weak side. I would suggest starting with citrus flavor as it is pretty mellow. Our other favorites are fruit punch and grape.
Peachy Keen is great (with herbal lift).. probably too tangy for your wife.. I can mix in a little bit of Orange flavor - and can't tell the 2 apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.